PDA

View Full Version : YOWUSA chimes in

ToSeek
2002-Sep-10, 03:45 AM
with an article (http://www.yowusa.com/Archive/September2002/XKBO6/xkbo6.htm) that shows they have a unique concept of what "evidence" means. (Not too surprising - I think this is the current incarnation of the Millennium Group, who were partly responsible for the hysteria over Hale-Bopp.)

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Sep-10, 03:50 AM
" the list of evidence, be it mainly indirect, is nonetheless growing to substantial proportions"

Now, that's science.

nebularain
2002-Sep-10, 04:02 AM
I like how they throw in all of these astronomical and planetary mysteries together and say (indirectly of course /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif ), "It must be Planet X!"

And what does measuring the distance to the moon in millimeters have to do with anything? Is this an increasing or decreasing thing, or what?

AstroMike
2002-Sep-10, 04:17 AM
Jupiterís Great Red Spot is getting smaller and rounder, at the current rate it will be a circle by 2040 and eventually disappear.

Not exactly true. It is becoming thinner, but according this Sky and Telescope article (http://skyandtelescope.com/news/archive/article_289_1.asp), it will always pulls itself into a oval.

Mainframes
2002-Sep-10, 08:39 AM
The moon has been increasing in distance by a couple of cm every year since it was formed.

And correct me if I am wrong but didnt the voyager or galileo flyby reveal that neptune was less massive than previously thought and therefore the anomalies on the orbits of neptune and uranus where then ironed out.

Doctor J
2002-Sep-10, 01:39 PM
On 2002-09-10 04:39, Mainframes wrote:
The moon has been increasing in distance by a couple of cm every year since it was formed.

And correct me if I am wrong but didnt the voyager or galileo flyby reveal that neptune was less massive than previously thought and therefore the anomalies on the orbits of neptune and uranus where then ironed out.

It was Voyager.....ground based telescope observation revealed anomalies in the orbit of Neptune, which led some astronomers to the conclusion that there was another planet beyond its orbit, which they called Planet X (and other names as well-W.H. Pickering, who also thought that the Earth had a second moon, proposed 7 different planets, O through U). But all that was found was Pluto, which was way to small to account for the anomalies in Neptune's orbit.

When Voyager 2 flew past Neptune, scientists had the first, accurate measurements of Neptune's mass, and lo and behold, the anomalies were accounted for....though the search for Planet X continued.

One of the pieces of evidence that the Zeta people have to be using is the gravitational anomaly that is affecting the outward bound Pioneer spacecraft, but that is very uncertain evidence for another planet...in any case, there is a lot of space debris beyond Neptune, in Kuiper Belt.

One other theory that the Zeta people are clearly relying on (though they are reinterpreting it in their own fashion) is the Nemesis theory, about a companion star that every 30 million years or so, is supposed to pass through the Oort Cloud and send deadly comets rocketing toward Earth....but there is no evidence at all that Nemesis exists.

The best information on this subject is at The Nine Planets website, http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/nineplanets/nineplanets/nineplanets.html#toc

which has a wonderful discussion of hypothetical planets from Mercury to Planet X.