PDA

View Full Version : Tech Talk

Decimal
2003-Jul-26, 03:46 PM
Whats the go with new space flight technology?

take flight engines for example - we cant keep using conbustable fuel forever.. who will (if they do) create the first alternative engine?

kashi
2003-Jul-31, 04:58 AM
Refer to "space travel" topic in this category, and "alternative energy sources" in "everything else...".

Kashi

rocketa
2003-Aug-13, 05:06 AM
Decimal,

I see your point and believe it is well described by the topic of this particular forum.

For Space Flight, what could be more to the tech talk point than the means of propulsion to get us to space?

Alternative Energy is more a topic for "saving the planet" by the use of new non-polluting energy sources.

Although it might be a good idea to get rid of the tens of thousands of pounds of HCl generated by the boosters in every Shuttle Mission!

Carl Sagan, at one of his last appearances stated "I believe there is a person in a laboratory somewhere right now working on reactionless propulsion." Given Sagan's propensity for non-speculation, that is an extremely powerful statement.

That was (10?) years ago, nothing has shown up, at least in the open literature.

Fraser
2003-Aug-13, 05:17 PM
I suspect we haven't seen the reactionless drive because it didn't work. Not that a reactionless drive can't work, or won't eventually be figured out.

If there's one thing NASA's good at doing, it's public relations. I get a handful of press releases from NASA every single day. If they had even a minor success, they would be broadcasting it from the mountaintops.

pHoSfEe
2003-Aug-17, 04:05 PM
hi everyone

Fraser, I think the reactionless drive hasn't come out yet because our technology is so low. Sure, we COULD get a reactionless drive in 10 minutes. Or maybe 10 months, or 10 years. Or maybe even 10,000 years. But until then, we'll have to rely on controlled explosions. But at least we still have a way to get to space.

- YMP