PDA

View Full Version : Who's never looked through a telescope?

Fraser
2003-Jul-31, 07:31 PM
I'd like to hear from anyone who's interested in space and astronomy but you've never actually peered through a telescope. I'm not talking about spying on the neighbours, I'm talking about looking at deep sky objects, planets, or even the Moon.

What's made it difficult for you so far?

imported_Tintin
2003-Jul-31, 11:09 PM
I have never looked through a telescope. Although I have been interested in science and astronomy for some time I took up stargazing only a little over a year ago. I use 12x binoculars :rolleyes:

NeoDinian
2003-Aug-01, 12:23 AM
One thing I've found with new viewers through a 'scope is...

Newbies usually don't look straight through the eyepiece... their face is not perpendicular to the eyepiece. Instead, their heads are turned and they look through as if they are looking to the far left or right...

imported_Draco
2003-Aug-04, 11:19 AM
I have. I've seen the Moon close up. And i've also seen Jupiter and its four main moons. I think Europa was in its shadow or behind it. I saw this all at this Astronomy night this Society has in the city that i live in. Pretty cool, they're gonna have a public viewing night on August 28 i think, so that they can see Mars closer.
I'm looking forward to the 27. Mars appears brighter every night!

I have a pair of binoculars, 10x21mm. And i later found out that i was ripped off, payed $70 for them! far out :( Moon appears ok, stars are more clear, i can see the Pleiades though. I cannot afford a telescope at the moment though, as i have other things that i also desire.

I'm also interested in space and astronomy too.
I'd also like to take this opportunity fraser, to thank you for creating such an excellent website, that supplies the viewers with sufficient information about space and everything that is happening in that part of the world. :)