PDA

View Full Version : What's in the skys this month?

Josh
2003-Aug-04, 01:13 AM
Here is a website that you can subscribe to and they'll send you an email once a month with an update of the what's in the skys (northern and southern). Things to look out for and main events. Little icons next to the month's features show if you can see it with the naked eye, binoculars or telescope. It's pretty damn good. It also comes with a monthly printable skymap - hence the name.

http://www.skymaps.com

Enjoy the universe!

DippyHippy
2003-Aug-04, 03:13 AM
Oh cool! Thanks for this Josh - nice one!

Dips

kjargirl
2003-Aug-06, 07:57 PM
Hey, can someone answer a question for me? I've been reading about how close Mars and Earth will be this month. I know that Mars is at perihelion in late August, but since it's also at opposition, does that mean the Earth is at perihelion as well? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me!

Josh
2003-Aug-08, 02:11 PM
just a bump for all you avid amature astronomers out there who missed this post on the first time round...
And ... I don't know the answer to your question kjargirl. There is a page on the JPL website somewhere on location of all the planets at diff times etc. you can put in dates and see the relative positions of diff planets, positions of satellites and space craft, asteroids etc etc... i can't remember the path to get there though. you'll have to do a bit of searching. the home for JPL is http://www.jpl.nasa.gov
good luck

kjargirl
2003-Aug-08, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Josh. I'll check out JPL's website. I did find out, though, that Earth was at aphelion (farthest away from the sun) less than two months ago, so I guess that is one of the factors in bringing us closer to Mars' orbit.

It's been fun looking at Mars through the telescope, but it makes me wish I had a better one!

Thanks again! :D

Josh
2003-Aug-08, 02:34 PM
ahh pleasure! fancy being on at the same time as i posted the reply after days ...

I think it's one of the j-track site you want .. not sure though. in any case they're all damn interesting sites anyway, even if you already have the answer.

sk_astroman
2004-Apr-26, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Josh@Aug 4 2003, 01:13 AM
Here is a website that you can subscribe to and they'll send you an email once a month with an update of the what's in the skys (northern and southern). Things to look out for and main events. Little icons next to the month's features show if you can see it with the naked eye, binoculars or telescope. It's pretty damn good. It also comes with a monthly printable skymap - hence the name.

http://www.skymaps.com

Enjoy the universe!
u can get lot new updates about space

www.space.com

Spacemad
2004-Apr-26, 01:34 PM
:) Just discovered this post of yours, Josh. I've visited the link you included & downloaded a map of the April skies. Looks quite interesting! :) Thanks.

Callisto
2004-Apr-28, 10:31 AM
Hey Josh, Thanks a lot. I've been looking for a site like that for a long time so B) thanks agian.