PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Asteroids Named for Lost Astronauts

Fraser
2003-Aug-07, 07:31 PM
SUMMARY: Seven asteroids were recently renamed to honour the astronauts of the space shuttle Columbia. The asteroids are all 5 to 7 km long, and were discovered on the nights of July 19-21, 2001 at the Palomar Observatory near San Diego by astronomer Eleanor F. Helin. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory proposed the idea, and it was recently approved by the International Astronomical Union, which is responsible for maintaining the names of celestial objects.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Kevin Milburn
2003-Aug-08, 04:45 AM
A very appropriate way to honor the memories of extremely brave astronauts.

Perhaps NASA and the Astronomical Union should consider renaming some of the stars that have less than memorable names after fallen astronauts and cosmonauts?

Why wait until after a tragedy? Why not rename stars for participants in the space programs of the various countries?

Wouldn't it be really cool in your lifetime to point to a star and say "That ones mine"? Imagine Yuri Gagarin pointing to the heavens and saying "There's mine"...forever to be remembered by scientists and amateur astronomers. Heaven knows these people don't fly in space for the money or the fame. A little acknowledgment and appreciation would be nice while still alive.

pHoSfEe
2003-Aug-16, 11:18 PM
That's a good point Kevin, but if we start naming stars after people dead or alive, we'll have to try and not get carried away. If we name stars after people for centuries, we'll probably name so much that every visible star in the sky (with binoculars) will be named after someone.. That's unless we name one star for one person per century, but I do think that is a good idea, naming stars after all the other people you mentioned.
ttyl everyone!

- YMP