PDA

View Full Version : The technology behind future spacecraft

kashi
2003-Aug-11, 07:33 AM
The next generation of reusable spacecraft will need to be "faster, lighter, cheaper, more reliable, more durable, and more versatile, all at the same time." (source: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/gettingto...ightstuff.html) (http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/gettingtospace/16sep_rightstuff.html)).

Please share your thoughts and ideas about new technologies being developed for this purpose!

VARN
2003-Aug-11, 11:42 PM
This one works (http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/gettingtospace/16sep_rightstuff.html)

rocketa
2003-Aug-12, 01:10 AM
I will jump far to the future where a form of molecularly engineered "DNA" is the template for the creation of an entire space faring vessel. It will be grown of appropriate materials in special shapes for each portion of the ship. Ultimately a consciousness (computer) will also be created unique to each vessel. This is certainly not a new nor original idea, but one in answer to the topic although a bit far into the future.

kashi
2003-Aug-12, 02:10 AM
Sorry I stuffed up that link. That idea sounds very much like the Australian/US sci-fi series "Farscape". I know they're working on growing computer chips using micro-organisms, and also LCD screens.

Kashi

Fraser
2003-Aug-13, 05:21 PM
I think it's going to be all about the ion drive in the next few years. They're not good for taking off from Earth, but once they get into space, they're the best way to zip around the solar system.

pHoSfEe
2003-Aug-16, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone!

What do I think about this? It's an awsome idea! I mean, remember the Apollo missions with the big bulky calculators the size of a desktop PC? The equivalent of those calculators can use MUCH less power, it can be much lighter, and more efficient. Think about the future. Just imagine how mush smaller transistors will get.. maybe ten times smaller than an atom! So, the computers in future shuttles just may be less than the size of your thumb, saving lots of space.. and the large booster rockets may become tiny batteries powering an anti-gravity field of some sort.
Just imagine... The future holds alot of secrets for mankind, and I hope they're all good (not evil) and revolutionary.

ttyl everyone!

- YMP

rocketa
2003-Aug-17, 01:09 AM
Is there a way to discover the technology of the future without waiting? I think so. It is not particularly novel; don't think it has been done. Here it is:

Have you read an explanation about a principle you never dreamed you would understand and then understood it? (Gamow and Azimov and Fineman come to mind as great explainers) The explanation was what? A collection of words. If 1000 monkeys had typed the same words (kind of a long shot!) you would still have understood them, correct?

So if you take a group of appropriate nouns, verbs adjectives, what the heck all the parts of speech in various declinations etc. and put them together randomly with a protocol developed by scientists and engineers, mathematicians and linguists then review the largely junk writing by a large coterie of scientists and engineers, they just might recognize valid principles not yet discovered.

Take a lot of time to do this. Many people would not want to waste time reading mostly junk.

So you also need editors at a lower level (pardon this remark in a classless society) to do screening.

Now some vastly advanced principles will sneak through just because we don't have the concepts for recognition yet or don't have the complete vocabulary yet.

But would one 25 year jump be worth it?

pHoSfEe
2003-Aug-17, 03:55 PM
hey, Rocketa.

That's a really interesting idea. Would one 25 year jump be worth it? I say yes. And about taking the time to read all the things, we could just get one person in retirement or something, and get them to read for an hour or for a year.

I should try what you said sometime. I mean take a few hundred nouns and other parts of speech, put them into a kind of program I bet would be fairly easy to make, and see what comes out.
How many people have you talked to about this? To me, this is one heck of an idea.
ttyl!

- YMP

kashi
2003-Aug-28, 12:16 PM
Sorry to be cynical. But I can't see how arranging words randomly could be more effective than combining the brain power of our most elite physicists and mathematicians who would use a more systematic approach. Certainly trial and error might be an effective tool within certain confines, but it would be an awful waste of time just using "monkeys at a typewriter" (so to speak) as the engine-room behind our scientific advancement. I don't think you'd get anything useful using that method in 250000 years, let alone 25! Plus it would take experts to actually fish through the material to identify a "gem" from a "lemon", and they have better things to do with their time!

I love the idea though! :D I've started the first stage of writing music using a simular method and it can be useful in some circumstances.

Kashi

WendellG
2003-Aug-28, 08:04 PM
I just read VARN's article on the nano tubes. Interesting stuff

Thanks

Wendell

VARN
2003-Aug-30, 06:22 PM
Give credit where credit is due. It was Kashi's article I just corrected the link.

Planetwatcher
2003-Aug-30, 08:36 PM
How about some means of using tacyons as an energy source?
They are supposed to be faster then light.

VARN
2003-Aug-31, 12:44 AM
You are suggesting we come up with a theory that uses imaginary material that should not exist? (For them to travel faster than light they must have imaginary energy).
The phase velocity of X-rays in a medium is faster than light. Maybe this can be used it is real.