PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: SpaceShipOne Completes First Drop ...

Fraser
2003-Aug-11, 08:47 PM
SUMMARY: Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne completed its first glide test on Thursday, after it was released from the White Knight aircraft at an altitude of 14,300 metres. The X-Prize candidate was taken through a series of tests in the air, and then landed at a runway in the Mojave desert. Since it was unveiled in April, 2003, SpaceShipOne is considered one of the front runners to win the $10 million X-Prize for the first privately-built spacecraft to reach an altitude of 100 km twice within 2 weeks.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

2003-Aug-12, 04:08 AM
Go, Burt!
Anyone knew who was piloting SpaceShip One on this test?

philip slater
2003-Aug-13, 12:45 AM
Hi Guest,
Yes! I'll second that emotion! Go, Burt, Go! And the lucky guy at the controls. I can't help with the name of the pilot, but maybe Fraser can.

Hi Fraser,
Great story, great picture, great news. When I use the news source link I go to the familiar Scaled Composites site where I fail to find anything more up to date than April. I've just posted a bit about the drop test into the ongoing X-prize Contestants thread started by knealy but it would be good to be able to get more details on the drop test.

Philip

Fraser
2003-Aug-13, 01:09 AM
Here are some more details. Sorry I couldn't give a better link, they don't do a good job of putting press releases on the Scaled site.

Flight 30L / 03G-1
Date: 7-Aug-03
Flight Time: 1.1 hours / 19 minutes
White Knight
- Pilot: Binnie
- Copilot: Bird
SpaceShipOne
- Pilot: Melvill
Objectives: First glide flight of SpaceShipOne.