PDA

View Full Version : Persied Meteor Shower

Fraser
2003-Aug-13, 07:31 PM
Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you another reminder to go out and watch the Persied Meteor Shower tonight. In nicely dark skies you should be able to see approximately a meteor every minute.

Here's an article from NASA Science (http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/19jul_perseids.htm) website about it.

Get out there!

publiusr
2007-Aug-10, 09:30 PM
Back again this weekend

Tucson_Tim
2007-Aug-12, 10:41 PM
Bumping this one more time - tonight's the first of the two peak nights.

Jakenorrish
2007-Aug-12, 11:15 PM
I've just been out for half an hour. Myself and my girlfried drove about 4 miles outside the city. We were lucky enough to see about 7 or 8 really bright meteors, one which was pretty spectacular. It bisected Cassiopia and seemed to go all the way across the sky! Another was a horizon skimmer from East to South and was purple. There were a few dimmer ones about as well. I'd guess that its about a meteor per minute right now.

I'm off to bed for a quick nap and hope to get out again for about 3.30 gmt. Clear skies everyone.

The Backroad Astronomer
2007-Aug-13, 02:46 AM
Last night I saw one over a car dealership on the way home and then when I got home went into the field beyond my house and saw a few more.

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Aug-13, 05:47 AM
I went out at 11:20 local time just to check, and saw two; one faint and long (and right up the Milky Way) and the other a short, sharp flash at maybe mag -2 or -3. These are the first Perseids I have seen in 15 years, because August weather must manifestly suck wherever I choose to live.

I'm heading out in an hour to dig in and get some lookin' done.

Postmortem
2007-Aug-13, 05:58 AM
I saw 2 yesterday, one while I was in moving car no less, but it's all cloudy tonight, so I haven't seen anything at all tonight

:edit lucky me the clouds cleared up a bit, still a bit hazy, but I did manage to see 1 more so far

Maksutov
2007-Aug-13, 06:43 AM
Was out at 1 AM. looking toward Perseus. One spectacular fireball through Pegasus, and a couple of second magnitudes ones.

Nice view of the Milky Way tonight. Plus a certain "nebula" in Andromeda that reminded me of those ads for cheap plastic binoculars one would see in the back pages of old Popular Mechanics magazines and their ilk: "See 50 miles!"

Funny, but when using averted vision to discern M31, I could see 14,664,240,000,000,000,000 miles, and that was without any kind of binoculars.

jami cat
2007-Aug-13, 08:41 AM
Monday morn 3:00 am Florida...10 bright ones in an hour...radiating from persues easterly...one big one came from the west maybe from something else(looked like normal rogue meteor)...back to bed...aww screw it it's 4:40...get some coffee...

I was listening to this http://www.roswellastronomyclub.com/radio_meteors.htm I heard quite a few pings...interesting.

gwiz
2007-Aug-13, 08:55 AM
I went out for about 45 minutes before the clouds arrived, about 10 pm GMT. In that time I saw one really bright one and a dozen or so fainter ones. Not that impressive a show then - I saw nearly as many satellites as meteors.

Jakenorrish
2007-Aug-13, 10:40 AM
I got up at 3.30 and it was cloudy. Drat! Still at least I got some viewing in earlier. Ah well, never mind!

CJSF
2007-Aug-13, 12:36 PM
I managed to stay out for a little while just before 2am and saw only 3 in about 1/2 an hour before the ridiculous horde of mosquitoes drove me back inside. Saw one small airburst that actually cast faint shadows.

CJSF

The Bad Astronomer
2007-Aug-13, 03:30 PM
I wound up staying out for over an hour, roughly from 1 - 2:15 local time. I saw maybe 30 meteors, and my daughter saw several I missed. Very cool.

WaxRubiks
2007-Aug-13, 04:14 PM
so are these Perseids particles in the same orbit as the swift-tuttle asteroid; and that is why Earth intersects the cloud at the same time each year?

2007-Aug-13, 04:29 PM
so are these Perseids particles in the same orbit as the swift-tuttle asteroid; and that is why Earth intersects the cloud at the same time each year?

Not exactly the same, but as close as off-falling particles, with their own unique reactions to influences, can be.

eNons3nse
2007-Aug-14, 04:30 AM
I work 3rd shift at a printing warehouse, but it was a slow night so I was able to step outside for 10 or 15 minutes at a time a few times between 12 and 2am. I didn't see a whole lot earlier but around 1:30 or so I saw about 6, one of which was pretty bright.

Maksutov
2007-Aug-14, 06:26 AM
Went back out at 3 AM and enjoyed a whole bunch of bright meteors. I was surprised how many left discernible trails (but not to the extent of the Leonids from six plus years ago).

When I first watched the Perseids back in 1960 I didn't see trails, just brilliant sudden streaks across the sky. Either the meteoroid material has changed or the atmosphere has. Or perhaps my recollections.

Urbane Guerrilla
2007-Aug-20, 07:09 AM
Stepped out a bit after 0200 PDT Monday morning for the darkest spot in my neighborhood, which isn't very, but all the light pollution from the Oxnard area is on one side of the horizon as this is the beach.

Not very spectacular this time, really. In nearly an hour I saw four Perseids; the radiants were right, with Perseus well up, Taurus rising, Orion still down in the soup. The meteors all seemed inclined to track along the Milky Way, the brightest mag 1 or better, dimmest mag 4, mostly detectable because it was a sudden flicker. So on reflection I had to figure it for quite small and dim.

In my experience, these looked like pretty typical Perseids: bright, not much trails, and this year's gave a greenish color impression. I've seen 'em look greenish or yellowish.