PDA

View Full Version : Where were you?

WendellG
2003-Aug-15, 08:51 PM
Ok, Where were you, and what were you doing on the day man first set foot on the moon?

Ok, I was eight years old, living in Prairie City, Oregon absolutely glued to my parents black and white TV watching the events unfold.

My parents, who were watching also, firmly belived that the whole thing was a fake. And they just couldn't understand how Walter Cronkite could be involved in the reporting of such an "obvious hoax."

Wendell

rocketa
2003-Aug-15, 09:59 PM
After spending four years working on the project, I knew it was NOT a hoax! I was there on the floor of my living room watching with the rest of the country with my eyes brimming with tears. We had finally done it!

I was one of 12,000 engineers working on the project but felt proud at the time as if it was my baby being born.

The detractors of Apollo are doing so at such a removed point in time that the HUGE effort expended (like the Manhattan Project, the Atomic Bomb- hmmm was that a hoax???) is invisible to the current generation. They did not have the opportunity to hear the giant engines roar at Redstone arsenal, shaking the entire town of Huntsville, or see the meticulous detail worked into every aspect of the program over years of design and construction. The Brown Corp. for instance was a huge company and the ONLY function was to verify wiring, propellant, gases and hydraulic connections between stages! Their "bullpen" was enormous and had dozens of tables covered with giant Ozalid prints.

A friend of mine heard from Bill Keysing (famous Moon Hoax Guy) that the reason he wrote the book was to get back at NASA for a friend that was fired from the Ames lab. He sure started a negative wave moving against space exploration. I know it is old hat, but it is important to know that every single thing he has pointed out has been proven to be wrong.

WendellG
2003-Aug-15, 10:30 PM
I should report that "Happily, the parents now understand that it was in fact quite real." As for me, I never had any doubt that it was real.

As for those 12,000 of you that were working on the project, Thank you. You sure fired up this kids imagination at the time. And still do.

Now, lets start thinking Mars.

Semper Fi,

Wendell

Planetwatcher
2003-Aug-16, 05:02 PM
Like Wendell, I was at home watching it on TV with my family.

DippyHippy
2003-Aug-27, 02:09 AM
I wasn't even a twinkle in my Daddy's eye...

I wish I'd been alive to see it.

Fraser
2003-Aug-27, 02:26 AM
I was -2 years old. But I have fond memories of the first shuttle flight. My Dad woke me up at like 6 in the morning and we went downstairs to watch the launch of TV.

kjargirl
2003-Aug-27, 03:47 AM
I was 9, and I camped out in front of the tv from launch to splashdown. My Mom was great- she even let me eat in the living room so I wouldn't miss anything. She also brought me laundry to fold while I was sitting there, but said I didn't have to empty the dishwasher (my usual chore). The whole family stayed up late to watch the first moon-walk. I'd change the channels when one station would go to a commercial so I wouldn't miss any breaking news (remember when there was only 3 tv stations and no remotes?) I remember my sister developed a crush on Jules Bergman from ABC news.

bfoz
2003-Aug-27, 08:56 PM
I was -8. Now that I think of it, I think the first launch I saw on TV was Challenger. Its the first one I remember anyway.

Still haven't been to a shuttle launch. The last time I tried they scrubbed for too many days and I had to go home. Although a few weeks ago I was down at the Cape with some spare time on my hands so I gave myself a tour of all the launch pads I could find. There's a fence around the shuttle pads so I only got within a 100 meters or so. They're rather large.

imported_Draco
2003-Sep-06, 06:53 AM
I wasn't even born:p
Another 27years until i was born:p lol!
Maybe i'll be alive to see man set foot on another planet? Mars?;)

bfoz
2003-Sep-06, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Draco@Sep 5 2003, 11:53 PM
I wasn't even born:p
Another 27years until i was born:p lol!
Maybe i'll be alive to see man set foot on another planet? Mars?;)
So... you&#39;re 7 years old? I guess that&#39;s about when I started dreaming of the stars too. Although we didn&#39;t have the internet back then so I didn&#39;t get to talk about it on UT. Great, now I feel old. <_<

If all goes well, most of us here will get to see people walking on Mars.

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-12, 01:18 AM
I wasn&#39;t born yet either, but yes I wish I could have been alive to see it. Yet, being on Mars will be an even bigger deal&#33;

Les
2003-Sep-26, 01:34 PM
I was 21. Standing with about 150 other office workers in the National Mutual (an insurance company) theatrette in Collins Street Melbourne, watching history unfold on the high black and white TV in the corner. I worked in the building across the street. It was daytime in this part of the world, and those of you who saw The Dish, know where the pictures were transmitted through.

In those days, I was programming an IBM 360 Model 30&#33; Sigh... Expensive, big - though at the bottom of the range, and I probably now have more power in my wrist watch. Once attended a talk on the simple computers the guys had with them on the moon. Its a wonder they achieved all that they did.

DippyHippy
2003-Sep-27, 02:27 AM
I&#39;ve since bought the DVD set of the Apollo 11 flight... it has all the TV coverage plus film of the entire Saturn V vehicle being assembled... that&#39;s the closest I&#39;ll ever get to seeing it "as it happened"

My second favourite astronaut quote (after "the stars are my home") is from Buzz Aldrin, who after returning to Earth, said to Neil Armstrong, "you know, we missed thed whole thing" LOL

God, I wish I could meet those guys.

rocketa, I re-read your reply with much interest... it saddens me that there are many people in this world who think it was all some expensive Capricorn One stunt. I hope the Moon-Hoax trend dies away... I think it will.

The sad thing is that the people who truly believe it was hoaxed will never be convinced otherwise. You could put them into a rocket and fly them to the Apollo 11 landing site and show them the damn flag and they&#39;d still claim someone managed to send it there on a probe right before they arrived.

Dips

Polly V
2003-Sep-27, 03:12 PM
On july 20, 1969, I was 8 years old, we had just moved from McConnell AFB, Kanasa to Travis AFB inCalifornia, one of our many moves being raised in the air force. I was with my mom and my sisters unpacking and settling into a very big old spooky vicotrian house. We used to scare each other senseless in that house.

imported_Draco
2003-Sep-28, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by bfoz+Sep 6 2003, 06:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bfoz @ Sep 6 2003, 06:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Draco@Sep 5 2003, 11:53 PM
I wasn&#39;t even born:p
Another 27years until i was born:p lol&#33;
Maybe i&#39;ll be alive to see man set foot on another planet? Mars?;)
So... you&#39;re 7 years old? I guess that&#39;s about when I started dreaming of the stars too. Although we didn&#39;t have the internet back then so I didn&#39;t get to talk about it on UT. Great, now I feel old. <_<

If all goes well, most of us here will get to see people walking on Mars. [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m 15 now:p hehehehehe :)

imported_ROB
2003-Sep-30, 02:08 PM
I&#39;ve since bought the DVD set of the Apollo 11 flight... it has all the TV coverage plus film of the entire Saturn V vehicle being assembled... that&#39;s the closest I&#39;ll ever get to seeing it "as it happened"

DIPPY HIPPY
I WASNT BORN EITHER BUT HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE DVD WHERE DID YOU GET IT FROM IV HAVE LOOKED ON THE INTERNET AND ITS ALWAYS OUT OF STOCK?

ROB

Matthew
2003-Oct-05, 09:43 AM
I wasn&#39;t even born yet, come to think of it, I wasn&#39;t to be born for a while yet. Be good to have seen it though... :unsure:

all_isone
2003-Oct-22, 01:39 PM
still remember this, was like 3-4 years old, we all watched from our just bought-for-the-event b&w tv.

I was semi impressed to be honest, was expecting something more spectacular i guess

Dan Luna
2003-Oct-22, 04:56 PM
I was 7 and my Dad was kind enough to take us on holiday to a place that had a TV, so we could watch it all. It was great. I was so glad NASA decided to send people to a Black & White planet. ;)

Duane
2003-Oct-23, 10:20 PM
I was 9 and watched it from launch to splash-down with my dad. He took time off work and let me stay up well past my bedtime so we could watch the actual moment. Seems to me it was pretty late in our time zone, but could just be foggy memories&#33; I remember waiting FOREVER for Neil to step out.

Sometime after the splashdown, dad bought me a Saturn V model. I built it, then blew it up with firecrackers when I was 13 or so :o

Matthew
2003-Oct-26, 05:38 AM
I was 9 and watched it from launch to splash-down with my dad. He took time off work and let me stay up well past my bedtime so we could watch the actual moment.

Stayed up from launch to spash down? Wasn&#39;t that 8 days? :P

damienpaul
2003-Dec-16, 05:18 PM
I was barely a twinkle in that mad scotsman i call dad&#39;s eyes&#33;

jimmy
2004-Jan-22, 03:00 PM
At school, I remember the teachers gathered in the lounge watching TV. I was too young to give a damn about it then. Wish I had a time machine&#33;

Spacemad
2004-Jan-28, 08:20 PM
I was 19 at the time & loved every minute I watched&#33; It really did seem incredible that we could be seeing human beings walking about on the Moon&#33;

I just hope Im around to see the first human being doing their first steps on Mars - though I may be well into my 80s by then&#33;

galaxygirl
2004-Feb-07, 04:35 PM
I was born 20 years after the first moon landing, but I bought the Apollo 11 DVD set too and the whole mission was amazing. I&#39;m looking foward to seeing humans land on Mars. Hopefully I&#39;ll be landing there&#33; :D

johnm
2004-Feb-08, 03:02 PM
Let&#39;s see.....I was in the Florida Keys at a military base, 19 years old, watching in a TV room made for 15 people, filled with about 30+ guys and 10 or more jamed in the door.

tycho1981
2004-Feb-08, 03:32 PM
I was nt born yet :(
but 1st mars manned mission is for us :D

LambdaWoman
2004-Feb-14, 01:15 AM
I just looked on Amazon for the Apollo 11 dvd, for all that are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009XYYF/qid=1076721353//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl74/104-9145344-7732750?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)

looks awesome&#33;&#33;&#33;

jamerz3294
2004-Feb-17, 10:56 PM
I was 11 years old, and the only one in the house who was watching on tv&#33; everybody else was upstairs in bed. I remember my mom calling down to me to go to bed, but I wouldn&#39;t because we were walking on the moon&#33; I have been a Sapce Nut ever since I can remember&#33; I would skip school just to watch the Mercury Redstone lift off&#33;

Carson
2004-Feb-25, 03:33 AM
Hey, it was my birthday&#33; I believe in spectacular celebrations--another July 20th I held an eclipse of the sun&#33;

I was hiking in the Three Brothers Mountains in Manning Park with my older brother that day. It was one of the extremely rare times we shared together in this lifetime. Now we&#39;re completely estranged.

And, to add a little something, I met an elderly man here in Vancouver who had been an astrophysicist involved in that project, and had invented for NASA a little, but significant, gadget which collected some info--can&#39;t remember just what it was for.

In that footage, no sooner are the guys on the moon when (if you&#39;re watching for it) you see one of them just lightly hit this little wire. You can see it easily, but it&#39;s subtle. One of those teensy "oh oh" moments. If you have the program, watch for it. It&#39;s kind of neat, because it&#39;s pretty easy to see this little blunder.

But my acquaintance here told me he knew that his little gadget had just been wiped out, at that instant&#33; And it WAS significant; I just forget what he said. But it was scientific, and it represented a rather prestigious contract he&#39;d performed for NASA.

I believe he said they were successful the second time around.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Feb-25, 04:09 AM
I was a little brat of four. I still remember being upset because some stupid space thing interrupted my show. We had one of those big consol type tvs and a shag rug.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-26, 11:01 AM
ah the good ol&#39; shag rug&#33;

Even though I was not even a glint in my parents eyes...it leads to me to see that when/if we get a human on Mars, then it&#39;ll be a world stopper.

Victoria
2004-Feb-28, 04:06 AM
Assuming during what month this event occurred in 1972, I had probably most likely been 0-6 months and soaking in as much as possible. :)

damienpaul
2004-Feb-28, 04:59 AM
Actually this event occured in 1969, July I believe.

Victoria
2004-Feb-28, 02:30 PM
A great time, thanks for clarifying. I wish I Could Have been there. I still am in prime age for the next leap I hope :)

antoniseb
2004-Mar-06, 07:15 PM
I was fourteen, and hanging out in a cottage on Martha&#39;s Vineyard. I spent some less time in the sun than usual, so as to see coverage on the 1949 Admiral B&W TV that was deemed sufficiently worthless to leave in the cottage over the winter.

I also skipped school five or six months later to watch the color coverage of the Apollo 12 moon walks. Apollo 13 [the next April] didn&#39;t get the same sort of live coverage of the astronauts.

Tom2Mars
2004-Mar-20, 06:32 AM
I was 15 in Winter Park, Florida. My dad had moved us there after he retired from the Air Force, last job for him was Atlas and Titan missile instructor. So I had an interest in rockets. We were watching the Black & White footage on a brand new, Heathkit GR681 Color TV, which my father and I had built together. So I knew about circuit boards, and wiring harneses and rockets and building things, so naturally I thought it should be possible to go someday.

Years later, I was scheduled to present a paper at a space conference and had shown up at the assigned room early. The previous presentation(about radiation hazards and protection measures in space) was still underway, and it was standing room only, except for a folding table that was set up by the door. So, I sat down on it and couldn&#39;t help but notice that someone had left a memo book on the table. On it was the patch of the First Moon Landing, with the eagle on it. It was the most worn and beat up patch I had ever seen, it really had been around. A few minutes later, its owner came through the door and sat down next to me, picking up the book. Buzz Aldrin then looked me in the eyes and casually asked, "did I miss anything?".

So I mentioned what I had seen so far, and then he made comments about the presentation and we sort of chit-chatted through the rest of the talk. Later, he stayed and listened to my presentation, and made a couple of good comments from the perspective of &#39;when he was up there&#39;. He was so relaxed and cool, and made me feel very comfortable.

So comfortable, that later downstairs in the bookstore when I was buying some cassette tape, I realized that the man in front of me was Mike Collins. I managed to babble some accolade and felt like an idiot space groupie this time, and he was real nice about it. I realized all of a sudden, that the Moon Landings weren&#39;t just about the thrill and the excitement of rockets blasting to another world, it was about the people who did it. Really decent, nice, smart dedicated guys(and gals) working towards a goal, and not above giving some friendly advice or showing some courteous sympathy while waiting in line with "us regular folk".

Faulkner
2004-Mar-20, 02:30 PM
I was 18 months old so I don&#39;t remember it at all. But my folks always told me about it, I remember, when I was a little tacker.

Must&#39;ve been big deal for a lot of folk back then&#33;?

Strange tho&#39;, I remember watching episodes of "Combat" and "The Guardians" and "Lost In Space"...and I must&#39;ve been only 1 or 2...sheesh...what a brainwashed kid&#33; :P

Skywise
2004-Mar-20, 03:26 PM
rocketa mentions babies... and speaking of babies being born...

This invariably embarrases my mother, but... I was in her belly, being conceived.

July 20th happens to be my mother&#39;s birthday, so I&#39;m sure that it was a heck of a way to celebrate the first manned lunar landing in 1969. 9 months later (April 21, 1970) was when I was born.

I actually attribute that tidbit to my strong interest in things space, and one of the driving factors that lead me to acquire the degree I have in Aerospace Engineering. ;)