PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: These Microbes Can Take the Heat

Fraser
2003-Aug-18, 07:57 PM
SUMMARY: Microbes taken from a deep sea vent at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean can survive in an environment that would kill anything else on Earth - they live, and thrive, in water that is 130 degrees Celsius. The scientists who discovered the microbes, called Strain 121, put the creature in an autoclave, which is designed to kill all bacteria; not only did it survive, but it kept on multiplying in the high heat. The discovery helps scientists develop new theories of how life could have originated on an early Earth that was much hotter than it is today.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

pHoSfEe
2003-Aug-18, 08:45 PM
Hey, Fraiser.

I've seen about two other creatures that can survive that kind of heat.
There's a type of shrimp (fairy shrip I believe) that can sruvive boiling water (or at least its eggs come alive), and another called the water bear. It's a really strange thing that looks like a very small gummy bear. It can survive over 100 years in the desert, it can survive the vacuum of space, it can survive some heavy-duty radiation (far more than we can take), and can survive 303 degreees farenheit (sorry I haven't converted that to celcius).

I bet there's much more than just a few microbes that can survive extreme heat.

Do any of you believe that life could exist on the sun? wow that's a crazy thought! lol!
ttyl!

- YMP

kashi
2003-Aug-18, 11:11 PM
I think the discovery of this bacteria also has some interesting implications for the evolution of life on other planets.

Nothing could possibly survive on the sun, as any substances would decompose well before you reached the surface!
Kashi

rocketa
2003-Aug-19, 02:28 AM
But Kashi, how about Organized Plasma? It could have the attributes of intelligence.
If you had ever seen ball lightning up close you might agree!

(Admittedly a pretty far fetched idea- but why not :rolleyes: )

Dawn hollman
2003-Oct-24, 05:19 PM
Im only in 9th grade but i think that the earth is kindof like stars that die out like it was really hjot but then as it die's out it becomes cooler