PDA

View Full Version : Blackout... Positive?!

jarany
2003-Aug-19, 01:43 AM
I know there can't be much said for anything positive about the great blackout.. There's only one thing that comes to mind.. I've never seen so many stars above Toronto before! Thanks to no streets on, I could finaly see the night sky above Toronto.. Which, is more then a rarity.. Since it can only happen when something like this happens..

stephanie_dukie
2003-Aug-19, 10:17 PM
For those who have been here since this forum began, I asked about the Milky Way. I had never seen it nor even knew really what to look for.

Although with the loss of power, there was the loss of food, I SAW THE MILKYWAY! :D WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO.... because of all the advice from this forum on what to look for, when I did see it, it was like a tiger jumping out at me! I felt so incredibly ummmmmmmmmm blessed as I looked up and saw it. Seeing it for the first time was just the bestest present of all, even though we were about to loose so much!

I also saw meteors although few, but bootiful none the less.

Without Universe Today, and the dumbells in Cleveland who powered us out, I may still be looking up in the sky going DUH!

And thats my power outage story!!!

rocketa
2003-Aug-20, 12:10 AM
Hooray for you Staphanie and all the others who enjoyed the night sky during the blackouts..

dbaer
2003-Aug-20, 01:00 PM
We took my tenant's two kids outside to admire the stars and point out Mars to them. The boy is addicted to computer games, and the girl is addicted to chat rooms. The stars served to distract them from their withdrawal symptoms. The boy wanted to know if shutting off the power "down here" was why the stars were shining brighter. I started to explain how light from electric lights caused sky-glow that made observation harder but his sister piped up and told him that, yes, using less power down here left more power available so the stars could shine brighter.
After we stopped laughing we got it straightened out for them....I think.