PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: SIRTF Launch Delayed

Fraser
2003-Aug-20, 04:35 PM
SUMMARY: The launch of NASA's Space Infrared Telescope Facility (SIRTF) was pushed back at least two days because high seas in the Indian Ocean are delaying a tracking ship from reaching its assigned position. The last of the Great Observatories, SIRTF will now launch on board a Delta 2 rocket no earlier than Monday, August 25 at 0535 GMT (1:35 a.m. EDT). The tracking ship will monitor the Delta 2's upper stage as it carries SIRTF to a higher orbit after launch. The spacecraft will follow the Earth's orbit and take pictures of some of the oldest, coldest and dust-obscured objects in the Universe.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Tigran
2003-Aug-20, 05:12 PM
I think they should have gone with Russians ... this delay is from the beginning of this year.

I would not be surprised if we learn that it's again postponed. :(

KB3HTS
2003-Aug-22, 08:36 PM
I've been following SIRTF very closely since I entered the naming contest they had for the scope and got relatively far along. Unfortuantely NASA didn't want to name it after Carl Sagan so that was the end of that. All these delays are really annoying though, after all I've heard about the scope I want to see it be LAUNCHED already! Either way I will watch the launch over the Internet; the only bad part of this is the set time is around 1am right now...
Clear skies and later days.