PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Where Should NASA Look on Mars?

Fraser
2003-Aug-21, 08:07 PM
SUMMARY: To celebrate the closest approach of Mars in 60,000 years, NASA is looking for suggestions for where it should point the cameras on the Mars Global Surveyor. The spacecraft has been orbiting Mars since 1997, and taken more than 120,000 photos of the Red Planet which a resolution high enough to show a school bus on the surface. But the high resolution camera has only covered about 3% of the planet's surface. The NASA Mars Global Surveyor team will review suggestions from the public and then catch pictures when the spacecraft is above the right locations.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Vince Fukes
2003-Aug-21, 11:09 PM
..why would NASA be looking for a school bus on Mars?

:P :P

v

Locke
2003-Aug-22, 06:06 AM
How about Olympus Mons or Hellas Planitia. Although I would prefer Olympus Mons.

Locke

Seth6767
2003-Aug-23, 05:51 AM
Mmmm. How about the "face," the "D&M," and/or the "fort," for starters... Why not show some close-ups of that whiich seems nothiing but rife with controversy? Olympus Mons, and the Incan City would also be nice. I would love too see some photos which don't seem to require manipulation .... Hmmmmn.

ana
2003-Aug-30, 04:30 AM
;) B) :ph34r: Of course, I would love to see EVERYTHING about Mars. But if I had to choose only one photo, I guess I would like one of the center large enough to cover the different surfaces to unvail its difference to earth the best.

Ana

Planetwatcher
2003-Aug-30, 08:38 PM
How about that new canyon discovered during Mars's closes approach?
There might be something interesting there.

traintaz
2003-Sep-13, 12:30 PM
I'd like to see more images of the inside surfaces of canyons showing what appears to be water flowing from underground streams or pools.

Aiz
2003-Sep-13, 12:45 PM
Actually, I'd like to take a look at the polar ice-caps. I'm not sure if we already have pics of those, but wouldn't a close-up look at something other than red dirt be more interesting? Btw, can anyone tell me whats the composition of those ice? Are they carbon dioxide?