PDA

View Full Version : Giant leaps for mankind!

kashi
2003-Aug-25, 12:06 PM
In the last 50 years we've seen the launch of the first satellite, humans in space and man landing on the moon. What future acheivements will equal these defining moments in their ability to bring our species together to celebrate our own self-acheivement?

rocketa
2003-Aug-25, 04:29 PM
We now have "rapid prototyping" where a 3d computer drawing is converted to a 3D object. Soon we will be building materials up from their basic molecules; this will be a revolution in manufacturing, very star trek. All you will need is a cartridge of the basic molecules to be used and the "machine" and you will be able to assemble anything your computer can create in 3D right on your desktop. (by soon, maybe 50 years)

Karen M.
2003-Aug-25, 10:55 PM
The next milestone? Putting a human on Mars. I think that would be the next name to be added to the list of Flight Firsts. I think this step is still a little bit of a ways off, but I hope to see it in my lifetime.

Karen M.

WendellG
2003-Aug-25, 11:32 PM
I agree with Karen M. Our next milestone will be the landing of man on Mars and safely returning them home.

On the other hand, I would be just as happy if someone could invent a dribble free coffee caraffe. :)

Wendell

DippyHippy
2003-Aug-26, 04:41 AM
Hmmmm... I'm still waiting for the robot manservants, 3 day work weeks and holidays on the Moon we were supposed to have by 2000... ;)

real-radio
2003-Aug-26, 11:35 AM
Why not just fling a few loads of cargo to Mars, and let them crash into the planet.
NASA is good at this. Fill them with some of the necessary survival equipment, and
lots of digging equipment. Then sign up a bunch of volunteer colonists, and fling them there as well. Sure it will be a rough ride, but so was the ride over from Spain to the "New World"! I am sure there are some adventurist types who would
jump at the chance to strike out on a real adventure. I would provide a forward base for receiving others, sort of setting up a gas station in the desert, problem
is getting there, then setting up so there could be round trips. Send people out, bring stuff back for examination and utilization!
Jim
Real-Radio

ironpirate
2003-Aug-28, 10:58 PM
The first fully private space flight. We need to continue to send probes to the outer system. We have to continue to fuel the next generation of explorers and scientists imagination.
Oh yea, Mars.

Martha_sea
2003-Aug-31, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes: Great Ideas! I know that Science fiction writers let us many things to investigate the possibility to go through the space. Now the scientific exploration permit us to think about Mars, many questions emerge such as : How , when and who, but the most important question is: Can we live there? What conditions we need to land on Mars? thanks

Martha

QJones
2003-Sep-02, 07:24 PM
I think something that will open up the future is a drastic improvement in health among people. Everyday we see advances (http://www.betterhumans.com) in the biological technology.

What we need is some way of getting people into a more productive frame of mine. That way, people who want to see space will have the ideas and incentives to get there

Regards,
Live long enough to see space! (http://www.longevitymeme.org/)

u378988
2003-Sep-02, 08:36 PM
How about this. Why not setup something defintitely within our grasps now, and setup a remote lunar station? Put on couple of remote land nav units, how about a remote observatory similiar to Hubble on actually on the Moon. How about a unit to take deep core samples or begin setting up a layout for shuttles or shuttlecrafts to land on? These things can be done in 10 years or so....then guess what...10 years later it can be a launching site for shuttle of some sort to head for Mars. Maybe its just my thirst for wanting to know what possibilties are out there but its all doable in our lifetime if NASA can get funded more than say the local band fundraiser program type allotments :)

Happy Dreaming!!

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-05, 12:08 AM
Within 25 years-humans will probably have been to Mars and back.
Within 60 years, maybe to a moon or two on Jupiter and back. (only problem is the asteroid field)
Within 150 years, maybe colonies on the moon, Mars, and some of Jupiter's moons.
Within 500 years....maybe transportation (somewhat) closer to the speed of light.
Within 1000 years humans will have most likely left the solar system and been to some neighboring stars.
Within 100,000 years who can say. Technology is increasing at a very fast rate.

QJones
2003-Sep-06, 06:04 PM
Some people agree that technology will be advancing at a more and more rapid rate. The tech graph will continue to rise. (Read More). (http://www.betterhumans.com/Resources/Theories/theory.aspx?articleID=2002-05-22-4)

Maybe, I guess it's based on human cooperation and maybe improvements to intelligence.

Haglund
2003-Oct-06, 07:41 AM
Lunar station - This could be done within a few decades. I believe that the first ones to attempt it, will be private entrepreneurs. It will be a pretty big step, since it will be the first time that mankind now lives on two worlds in cosmos.
Manned mission to Mars - Depending on how things turn out, I suspect the first Mars missions will be carried out by government space agencies. But if they take too long, it's not impossible that the private sector will fund this, too.
Manned missions to the outer planets - The first ones to land on the moons of Jupiter or Saturn will have taken one of the really big steps. After that, the Kuiper belt and then of course the stars.
Interstellar journeys - This require technology and resources that we may not have for centuries to come, but it will happen, in one way or another...

Matthew
2003-Oct-06, 09:44 AM
We need to go back to the Moon and establish a permanent base.
Nano-probes. Space probes made using nano-technology allowing them to be compact and powerful, which would save power and make the main probe much lighter and/or stronger.
Spaceships achieving closer to light speed.

imported_ROB
2003-Oct-07, 12:42 PM
We need to go back to the Moon and establish a permanent base.

Totally agree some kind of refilling station to use to get us further out towards mars, if the chineese go to to moon as iv read some where this may be started sooner than 50 years maby within 20 years. Once we have started to colonize that things may be sped up a bit. Like launches from the moon pad by people who work in the space lab that could be set up to find out how being off earth effects our, animals and plant behaviour .

Matthew
2003-Oct-08, 10:37 AM
A refuelling base on the Moon would be good because you wouldn't need to carry all your fuel to get to Mars, only to the Moon. Then you would only need to content with 1/6 of the gravity of Earth to get off the moon.

Haglund
2003-Oct-14, 11:27 AM
Or have a space station at L1 (between the earth and the moon) where one could have scientific laboratories, living compartments, a refuelling station and a ship dock. This way there would be a place to refuel and repair any spaceship. One could even build new interplanetary ships there by sending up raw materials and components and modules from a lunar base.

Another thing I've been thinking about is a system where you have a huge spaceship going in a trajectory similar to the Apollo, that is like an 8-shaped trajectory. Then when it gets closer to the earth, it could unload some cargo into earth orbit, and pick up other cargo that is going from earth to the moon. The same for when its getting closer to the moon. It would be like a train that would never stop. You just unload or throw cargo onto it, and of course it would compensate its trajectory so it would not lose velocity or go too fast.