PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Hubble Snaps Closest Picture of Mars

Fraser
2003-Aug-27, 05:19 PM
SUMMARY: NASA's Hubble Space Telescope snapped this beautiful picture of the Planet Mars when our two planets were only 56 million kilometres apart. The picture was actually assembled from a series of exposures taken between 2220-2312 GMT (6:20 - 7:12 pm EDT) - 11 hours before the moment of opposition. The picture shows many details on the planet's surface, including impact craters, clouds, and dust storms. The next opportunity for a picture like this will be in 26 months, when our two planets are reasonably close again.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

aki
2003-Aug-27, 08:36 PM
is there any chance that you could see it through an amateur telescope tonight, aug 27? I wonder if it will it look like a regular star, just a little brighter, or you could actually see a little reddish sphere ( asuming that you have a pretty good telescope)
Thanks!...

AKI

Fraser
2003-Aug-27, 08:57 PM
You can totally see a disk in an amateur telescope. I've got a 45x spotting scope and I can see the disk and even some features on the surface of the planet. Even a modest telescope will let you see stuff on Mars.

DippyHippy
2003-Aug-28, 01:29 AM
It's definitely worth looking through a telescope if you can... I've been telling everyone to find a nearby group or club and have a look because it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I posted my report elsewhere but I have to say it here too: the view is stunning. A small, salmon-pink disc with a few dark markings and a glinting white polar cap.

Miss it and you'll regret it!

Dips