PDA

View Full Version : Ender's Game

Locke
2003-Sep-08, 04:26 AM
Hey all. I meet someone else on the forum that likes the Ender's Game series and so I've decided to recommend it all to you :D ! It's by Orson Scott Card(http://www.hatrack.com/index.shtml), and there's even the Ender's Game movie coming out in two to three years. If youv'e already read these books, I'd love to hear your opinions.

-Locke

Fraser
2003-Sep-08, 04:47 AM
First one was amazing, one of the best books I've read. The others were pretty disappointing.

bfoz
2003-Sep-09, 01:52 AM
The first one was excellent. The next one was a bit slow but still enjoyable. Not sure if I read the 3rd book. The last one I remember is the Hive Queen and the Hegemon. I haven't kept up with the series since then.

geez, I read those in the eigth grade. I'd sit in the back of the class and read because I was bored...school was so ridiculous back then, not that college was much better. I read a lot of Tom Clancy and Anne McCaffrey that year too. Haven't kept up with them either.

Locke
2003-Sep-09, 09:53 PM
Heh heh. I now how you must feel.

-Locke

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-09, 10:39 PM
I'll second that recomendation!
the first one is Ender's Game, the second one is Speaker for the Dead, the third one is Xenocide, and the fourth one is Children of the Mind. I think the first 2 were really good (Ender's Game was the better one though) but 3 and especially 4 werent as good. If you want to follow Bean's story then the first one is Ender's Shadow (companion to Ender's Game), Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and the fourth, which is still not written, is called Shadow of the Giant.
:D

itsmebaby76
2003-Sep-10, 10:11 PM
Hi -

I read Ender's Game about 10 years back and I thought it was excellent. I've never read any of the other books in the series. I also loved "The Abyss."

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-10, 10:36 PM
Who's "The Abyss" by and whats it about? I love to read.

Aiz
2003-Sep-13, 11:55 AM
Just pop in to say that I love Ender's Game - certainly one of the best sci-fi I've read. It was a dusty old book I dug out from the labyrinth of my school library many years back. I read book 2 and 3 as well. Orson Scott has a way of making you feel for the characters. What intrigued me most was Ender's "love affair" with his sister Valentine (was that right?). I haven't read the 4th. Did Ender's brother conquer the Hegemon? What happened to Valentine, the Hive Queen, and others??
Pray tell? :)

WendellG
2003-Sep-15, 08:00 PM
I completed the third bood of the "Enders Game" series. I'll be heading over to Barnes and Nobles in a coupoe of weeks to see if they have any of the others.

It's kind of interesting that the computer personality, Jane, was able to become "aware." Anyway, I strongly recomend the books.

Wendell

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-16, 12:54 AM
Children of the Mind (the 4th one) is very strange. I think that its not as well written as the previous three. (keep in mind that the 2nd book takes place 3000 years after the first!) Peter the Hegemon is long dead. But his "copy" is a character in the 4th book. You'd sort of have to read it to understand. I'm not the best at explaining things. Its still a good book though, don't get me wrong.

Aiz
2003-Sep-16, 03:52 AM
Spoilers ahead....

Peter's copy (as well as Valentine) actually appeared in Book 3.
But I believe their stories only begin in Book 4. Jane was sorta "enslaved" by Peter at the end of Book 3. I'd very much like to see how Peter claim the Galaxy for his own, but dun have time to pick up the book. Could any1 give a short summary? :)

imported_Ender
2003-Oct-09, 01:50 AM
[COLOR=red][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
hi im new to the forums- just registered today actually.
I just had a few things to say about enders game and the rest of the books of this series.
1. they are the most deeply enthralling books i have ever read.
2. some people think that enders shadow, shadow of the hegemon and shadow puppets are boring books, but in fact these people are too dumb,or are lackwits as peter wiggin said in shadow puppets because they can not understand military and psychological thinking and strategies.
3. there is going to be an enders game movie which some of you no doubt already know.

if anybody has anything to say, please feel fre to comment on my post
i will try to get back to you asap
my email is ender_000@hotmail.com

zephyr46
2003-Oct-09, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by bfoz@Sep 9 2003, 01:52 AM
The first one was excellent. The next one was a bit slow but still enjoyable. Not sure if I read the 3rd book. The last one I remember is the Hive Queen and the Hegemon. I haven't kept up with the series since then.

geez, I read those in the eigth grade. I'd sit in the back of the class and read because I was bored...school was so ridiculous back then, not that college was much better. I read a lot of Tom Clancy and Anne McCaffrey that year too. Haven't kept up with them either.
Anne McCaffrey has taken the Dragon riders of Pern full circle, I haven't read much of recent, but I did catch a glance of a spaceship that brought the original colanists to Pern, I love the Dragons of Pern.
I have just finished reading Freedoms ride? or something like it, the story of Han Solo, it takes you through the Hutts and up to the doors of the Empire when Han joins as a Tie Fighter Pilot. But I think I noticed Star Wars in another forum :rolleyes:

Dave Mitsky
2003-Oct-09, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by fraser@Sep 8 2003, 04:47 AM
First one was amazing, one of the best books I've read. The others were pretty disappointing.
I agree but I'd qualify _Ender's Game_ as being one of best science fiction books that I've read. IMO, it is also one of the top three s.f. war novels ever written, the others being Haldeman's _The Forever War_ and Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_.

Dave Mitsky

testman001
2003-Dec-05, 06:26 AM
I've also read Ender's Game and it's my fav book. But I don't think the movie is coming out. I havn't found any news on it since year 2000, so either it's a big secret or the whole idea is dead.

If anyone has recent news on the movie do share.

Hegemon
2004-Mar-22, 11:04 AM
I know this forum been kinda dead and all but incase anybody stumbles upon it (like me) here's the latest in the Ender's Game movie.

Movie Update - February 10, 2004
X-Men 2 Writers Signed for the Ender Screenplay
Variety Magazine announced on 10 February that Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, the writing team that created the X-Men 2 screenplay, have been hired by Warner Brothers to write the second draft of the Ender's Game screenplay.

Harris and Dougherty have already been in contact with Orson Scott Card, the author of both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, both of which have been optioned by Warner Brothers as the basis for the Ender's Game movie. Card wrote the first draft of the screenplay based on both books.

"Dan and Mike know how to create a terrific action film that entertains the audience every moment," said Card. "And best of all, their scripts get made, and made well. The chance of an excellent version of Ender's Game actually getting on the screen just increased dramatically because they signed on."

Harris already knew Ender's Game well; Dougherty only read it in preparation for this assignment. "That's an ideal combination," said Card. "One of the team is absolutely familiar with the elements of the story that the most committed fans will expect to see, while the other will be able to make sure it isn't just a movie for people who already love the book."

Still, Card warns, "No matter who writes the script, there are only a hundred and twenty pages available to tell a story that took more than five times that many to tell in novel form. Trying to include everything would make a lousy movie. Something is going to get left out."

"My own draft of the screenplay gives a pretty good idea of which elements of the books I thought were vital to the telling of the story," says Card. "I can't wait to see what they do."

"And of course I'll be available to them to help them in any way I can," Card promises. "We all have the same goal: To get a great movie into the theaters. With Wolfgang Petersen slated to direct and Warner Brothers executives committed to backing this project to the hilt, I believe that we couldn't have a better team."

Though the Variety article doesn't mention her, Robert Chartoff's partner Lynn Hendee, of Chartoff Productions, is still aboard as a producer of Ender's Game. She has been working closely with Card since 1996, and has been an integral part of every version of the script and every attempt to put together the film package.

"It's ironic," says Card, "that the producer who has worked the hardest to realize this film as I want it is the one whose name isn't mentioned in the story. But that's Hollywood. It makes me wonder how many other films owe this much to people whose names somehow don't make it into the official story."

In March, Card will be meeting with Warner Brothers Consumer Products division to discuss development of the electronic games that will tie in with the movie.

As to when the movie will come out, Card says, "It's way too early even to guess about that. The second draft isn't even written yet. And even when we get a script that everyone thinks is perfect, there's still the problem of casting and, of course, making everything fit with everyone's schedule."

Card promises that "as soon as we know anything real," it will be announced here and elsewhere.

More Info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Update - January 6, 2004
The current status of the Ender's Game movie
Warner Brothers optioned both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow in order to create a single feature film entitled "Ender's Game." Wolfgang Petersen is attached as director, and Robert Chartoff and Lynn Hendee remain as producers.

Card turned in the author-written script in May 2003. Warner Brothers and the various producers and the director are interviewing established screenwriters for the second draft.

No schedule or casting will be possible until a final script has been written and agreed upon by all parties. Then the director's schedule will be used as the basis for determining the start of shooting. Once the schedule is set, casting will begin. Remember that this film requires many good child actors, and the two most important child roles, Ender and Bean, are also the youngest and smallest. So chances are that the children who end up in these roles will be actors you have not seen in major roles.

Meanwhile, Card and his partners continue to develop other properties for production, including Homebody, The Lost Prince, Dogwalker, Malpractice, Pastwatch, Feed the Baby of Love, Unaccompanied Sonata, and Treason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Update - November 1, 2002
Ender's Game Director and Studio
Since Ain't It Cool News is carrying the story, we're certainly not going to deny it here. The director of Ender's Game is Wolfgang Petersen. The studio that is developing it is Warner Brothers. OSC is really happy about both.

The upshot is that all are agreed on a fairly detailed outline of a film that combines Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow in a way that will combine the most important elements of both. Together, the stories make one terrific film.

To fans of the book, OSC offers this reminder: "The movie can't show everything from either book, let alone both. So there will almost certainly be scenes and even plot threads that you cared about which are not present in the film. Fortunately, the books still exist, and so readers will be able to experience those scenes for many years in the future.

"The most important thing for the film, though, is that it be a marvelous movie in its own right, whether you've read the books or not. And I can promise you: If the film we settled on in the past few days' meetings is the film that actually gets made, fans of the books will be very, very happy with it - and so will those who go see the movie without ever having read or even heard of the books."

We will not release details of the film story, however. Not ever. Not nohow. All we'll say is this: Ender is the main character. Bean is also very important and will be a point of view character, too. Both Col. Graff and Mazer Rackham will be major adult roles, and major children's roles will definitely include Petra, Alai, and Bonzo. There will, of course, be many other lesser roles for adults and children.

However, nothing whatsoever will be done about casting or hiring until after the script is finished. The film's release will not be scheduled until the script is fully agreed upon AND the director has finished his next film. So it will certainly be at least two years and more likely three, maybe even four years before the film is released.

Be patient. The longer it takes, the better it's going to be. And in the meantime, we'll try to get some firstrate Ender's Game computer games out on the market so that some of you, at least, can get inside the battle room before the movie is released.

For more details on director Wolfgang Petersen, follow one of these links.

http://www.german-way.com/german/petersen.html

http://www.scene360.com/DIRECTORchair_peterson.html

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Petersen,+Wolfgang

I got this information from http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender...ame_update.html (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html) I have been checking it about every few weeks to see if any more news has come up.

Mr. Reese
2004-Apr-13, 08:39 PM
Hello, I'm new and I was just wondering if anyone knew when the movie was coming out. Thanks
I'm a really big fan.
-Mr.
Reese-

~Demosthenes~
2004-Apr-20, 02:38 AM
...And, as always, the landslides finally stopped being jumbles of rock. The face of the hill broke open and instead of shale it was white bread, puffy, rising like dough as the crust broke away and fell. It was soft and spongy; his figure moved more slowly, and when he jumped down off the bread, he was standing on a table. Giant loaf of bread behind him; giant stick of butter in front of him. And the giant himself leaning his chin in his hands, looking at him. Ender's figure was about as tall as the giant's head from chin to brow.
"I think I'll bite your head off," said the Giant, as he always did.
The giant, as always, set two huge shot glasses in front of him. As always, the two were filled with different liquids. The computer was good enough that the liquids had never repeated, not that he could remember. This time the one had a thick, creamy looking liquid. The other hissed and foamed.
"One is poison and one is not," said the giant. "Guess right and I'll take you into Fairyland."

-Orson Scott Card, From "Ender's Game"

As the teachers in battle school in Ender's Game say, The Giant's Drink is the most perverted part of the mind game. The Giant's Drink is basically, as Ender himself says, a choice between his own grisly death and an even worse murder. For the game was set up so that whatever you chose was wrong; the only choices were to kill the giant or die yourself, and neither are pleasant. The game was rigged, unwinnable. In the end, as Ender gets more and more frustrated, he climbs up the Giant's face and starts to dig in the giants eye, and the stuff comes away like cottage cheese. To be perfectly honest, yuck. The idea of it being like cottage cheese is absolutely revolting. That, I think, is the most sickening part of the whole book, and it gave me nightmares. Ender is right in one sense that it SHOULDN'T be, but in another sense, you could just as easily argue that that is the way life is: kill or be killed, though that's a rather cynical way of putting it. So in my opinion, draw your own conclusions as to whether this graphic violence is a sickening event that should not be, or a lesson