PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Shuttles Will Return to Flight in ...

Fraser
2003-Sep-09, 06:25 PM
SUMMARY: NASA representatives met with the media on Monday and announced that the space shuttle would begin operations again some time between March 11 and April 6. Several safety changes are going to be made before the first shuttle, Atlantis, launches to visit the International Space Station: the bipod ramp (which shed foam on the Columbia launch) will be redesigned, and launch windows will only be in the day so cameras can track the launch. Perhaps the biggest changes, however, will come from NASA's attempts to change its culture to improve safety. "We will be safety driven, not schedule driven."

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

WendellG
2003-Sep-10, 05:24 PM
It will be good to see the shuttle flying again.

Wendell

Fraser
2003-Sep-11, 07:18 AM
I think so too. It's going to be pretty scary for the first few missions, though. I'm going to be glued to the seat for both the takeoff and landings. I wish the astronauts the safest of flights.

We'll see how the Senate committee meetings go. I think the accident investigation report was well received by the government, and they're taking a serious look at their policies and vision. I would love to see Bush step up and announce a manned Mars mission or something, but with the recent budget request for the Iraq war it seems unlikely.