PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Galileo Will Plunge Into Jupiter ...

Fraser
2003-Sep-13, 02:06 AM
SUMMARY: Time is running out for NASA's Galileo spacecraft. After eight years of loyal service imaging Jupiter and its moons, NASA controllers have aimed it at the gas giant. On September 21, 2003, Galileo will crash into Jupiter and be destroyed; this will prevent any chance the spacecraft will unintentionally crash into Europa and contaminate the liquid ocean. NASA is planning a series of live press conferences to explain the end of the mission and discuss Galileo's discoveries.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Josh
2003-Sep-13, 02:18 AM
Are they planning on gathering any data as it crashes like other probes have done? Was this the original idea?

imported_Astrono
2003-Sep-13, 03:16 PM
Will we be able to see it like the Shoemaker Levy ?

2003-Sep-15, 03:07 PM
I would like to ask the same qwestion as Josh did. And also ask if the craft could not possibly be directed to saturn?.

WendellG
2003-Sep-16, 06:46 PM
The reason given for not re-directing Galileo is that there is not enough propellant left on board. According to the report, they have about enough left to nose dive it into Jupiter which will lessen (actually solve) the theory that Galileo might accidentaly crash into Europa and possibly pollute her oceans.

Anyway, as for me, I say "What a glorious end for a Grand Program.

Wendell

Fraser
2003-Sep-16, 06:58 PM
I don't think we'll be able to see it, but I'll ask NASA.