PDA

View Full Version : Why these might be out of order

Fraser
2003-Sep-16, 08:52 PM
Just a quick explanation. My publishing system automatically creates threads in the forum for each story I've written. The problem is that I only added this functionality back in July, but I've got stories that go back for several years. When "Discuss this Story" is clicked for the first time it builds the thread in the forum, but when I added the technology, I didn't go back in time and do it for every story.

Instead, Google has been crawling through my site bit by bit and clicking the links for me. So every now and then it will find some new part of my website, and create the "Discuss this Story" links. Unfortunately, the date for the story is the current one, and not when the story was originally written. All the new stuff is properly dated, though.

Hope that clears it up. :-)

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-17, 10:16 PM
Do you really have 825 posts?

Fraser
2003-Sep-18, 07:31 AM
I do, but about 600 of them were created by these "Discuss this Story" links, so it's not really a true amount of the number of posts I've done.

It's not a contest Deep_Eye. ;-)

DippyHippy
2003-Sep-27, 01:02 AM
Ummmm... it's clear as mud to me but I'll take your word that you know what you're doing LOL :D

Dips

VanderL
2004-Jan-17, 11:54 AM
Well, it seems Google has been doing it's job and cluttered the "Story Comments" section with a whole bunch of old stories!

burmese
2004-Mar-03, 11:45 PM
That's interesting that Google (and perhaps other web 'spiders'?) is essentially creating content simply by perusing your web site.

Fraser
2004-Mar-04, 12:41 AM
To a certain point. I'm pretty sure all the old articles have been found now.

Faulkner
2004-Mar-05, 03:12 AM
It's amazing how often this forum comes up in my Google searches! I'll type in something like, say, "strongest artificial magnetic field"...or, "how many black holes does it take to change a lightbulb"...or something like that...and the Universe Today forum comes up first ranking every time!

Fraser
2004-Mar-05, 05:16 AM
I... uh... planned that. ;-)

Victoria
2004-Mar-24, 03:39 AM
Okay...so, if I am reading right-left; <_< still I doubt there would be a loophole as great as the one in refernce to <_< the idea of that :P

yzww111
2004-May-26, 08:29 AM
hi,all :ph34r:

mike boggan
2004-Jun-09, 04:53 PM
Fraser,
In your capacity as "Guru who knows all"
Can you tell me if the Mars Rovers have instruments for detecting the quantity of water vapour in the "local" atmosphere, ie at ground level.
I know it can be done from orbit, and from Earth, but with all the pictures and talk of sea&#39;s and flowing water, do the Rovers give us any data on this?

Mike

alfchemist
2004-Sep-03, 07:13 AM
Hi Mike&#33; Mind if I butt in? (I&#39;m not Fraser. :D I know this is off-topic from this thread but as far as I can remember, the rovers&#39; intruments are dedicated for qualitative elemental analysis/ mineral analysis. They have spectrometers on board and just like any other spectrometers, you can do quantitative work. As for water, the filter must be set at Infrared region. Or there maybe other techniques. I can&#39;t remember the other instrument on board the rovers. What I&#39;m saying is that it is probable for those guys in the rover team to do what you want to be done but considering the very low atmosphere and cold temperature on the surface of Mars, I would bet, the water quantity is very low. There&#39;s this story in UT that they found water below the surface of a specific area. You might have an increased level of water in the atmosphere here.

So, back to google and Fraser&#39;s exploits&#33; LOL :D

alfchemist
2004-Sep-21, 07:40 AM
Hi Mike&#33; Looks like it&#39;s your lucky day&#33; They have mapped water vapor and methane distribution on Mars&#33; :D

Richard0802
2004-Sep-21, 11:04 AM
Hi alfchemist,

I believe you will find the the water vapour and Methane were in the Martian atmosphere. Water ice under/around the south poler ice cap. :)

Guest_suntrack2
2004-Oct-14, 01:08 PM
Respected Fraser Sir,

is it possible to prepare a great encyclopedia like britanica and so on, because the growing topics and discussion may cause to prepare a large size encyclopedia of UT?
people are very fine here including the ceo of UT.

sunil

publiusr
2005-Sep-07, 07:35 PM
That's okay by me--it gives me a chance to bump up stories of launch vehicles.