PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Shuttle's Return to Flight Pushed ...

Fraser
2003-Sep-18, 08:22 PM
SUMMARY: The return to flight of the space shuttle will probably be pushed back to midsummer according to NASA officials; not March as they had originally anticipated. The delay is being caused by the complexity of implementing the safety recommendations of the Columbia accident investigation, which called for additional cameras, day launches, and redesigns to several shuttle components. When Atlantis finally does launch with only four astronauts, its only purpose will be to test out the new safety improvements. It will dock with the International Space Station and allow the astronauts to test methods for finding and repairing damage to the shuttle's exterior.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-19, 01:38 AM
I guess its good they're doing this because if NASA had another accident so soon, it would cripple the space program. I also think that experimenting in ways to repair or look for damage on the Shuttle while docked to the ISS is a very good idea. Maybe in the future the ISS should have more than one docking bay, or does it already?

Athena
2003-Sep-24, 04:22 AM
I think that's too bad. I'm eager for the shuttles to get running as soon as possible, but of course safety first. It's just too bad it's going to take even longer than first expected to get running again.