PDA

View Full Version : Daylight lunar observation

Robert McClelland
2003-Sep-19, 06:19 AM
Is there a word or term for when you can see the moon during the day.

Thanks.

Josh
2003-Sep-19, 06:51 AM
hi Robert! Welcome to the forums...

The terms and their usage for daylight lunar observation are highly technical and long-winded. If you are observing the moon between the hours of dawn to only seconds before 12 noon ... then that is called "Morning lunar observation". The next one is found from 12 noon up to - and there's a little bit of debate here - either 4pm or 6pm depending on the time of year... some even say after the sun has descended to below an inclination of 40deg regardless of the time, then this is called "afternoon lunar observation". then from that point unitl sunset is called "evening..." okay seriously now. :-P

I read the question and wondered if there was in fact a name for looking at the moon during the day. I did a search on a few websites and it turns out, from what i've been able to find, that it's simply called "Daylight Lunar Observation". You got it right straight off the bat. Perhaps we should come up with a name for it? see if it catches on??

Josh - Guide to the perplexed. No flash phtography please.

jenda111
2003-Sep-20, 02:37 PM
hi there
i look at moon in day time often
the word that springs to mind to describe it is "wonderful",
mainly because there is not a lot of astronomy you can do in daytime
sure you can see Venus in a blue sky ,but the moon is "wonderful"
The only term i know relating to moon in daylight is "the old moon in the arms of the new",
which is the situation just after new moon
clear skies ...jenda111

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 08:29 AM
I think an appropriate term for observing the moon during the day could be `lunacy` if only because the moon is so associated with the night-time that its sheer `lunacy` to expect to be able to observe the moon at all times during the day!

Although, to be honest, that would probably end up being quite confusing because although the act of viewing the moon during the day might well be termed `lunacy` the act of looking at the sun during the day is already considered `lunacy.` Quite the conundrum.

astromark
2005-Oct-21, 09:14 AM
Well actually there is a great deal of astronomy to be done in the daytime. If you have a clear sky the view of the moon is often very crisp. Venus is easly found and even some stars are visable. The most obviouse target for daytime astronomy is our sun, Sol. You must build or buy a proper solar filter. Or say goodbye to your vision. One more point. After fitting the solar filter leave the covers on your finder- scopes. The sun is worthy of a daytime observation. Its difacult to see it at night. although safer.

cyswxman
2005-Oct-21, 06:07 PM
...The sun is worthy of a daytime observation. Its difacult to see it at night. although safer.
I have yet to see it at night. The Earth keeps getting in the way!! ;)

astromark
2005-Oct-22, 10:43 AM
I was joking. . .

cyswxman
2005-Oct-22, 03:19 PM
I thought so. As I was.

Jeff Root
2005-Oct-23, 07:43 AM
I've seen the Sun at night many times, but only using
averted vision.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

George
2005-Oct-24, 09:58 PM
Mrs. Helio and I got invited to the sun one night. We stayed at one of those French plages (beaches) and obtained this prominent view. It's just a trace of the awsome landscape. Now I know why they call it the photosphere - hard not to take pictures.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5100/tracesun27km.th.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tracesun27km.jpg)

Our plage was noted for its large granules which they said improved the local surf. Some surfers learned on the spot, I think. [/cornjunctive] ;)

Enzp
2005-Oct-25, 06:03 AM
The young star got the title role in "The Sun Also Rises."

astromark
2005-Oct-25, 06:09 AM
Yes I have studied this image and agree, surfs up.
I over herd this conversation in a observatory.
"Do you think they will send space men to the sun?"
"No silly, Its to hot to go near."
"They could go at night."

George
2005-Oct-25, 02:08 PM
That just may be the ultimate classic astronomy joke, IMO. :)

Peter B
2005-Oct-27, 03:41 AM
jkmaccrann said:
I think an appropriate term for observing the moon during the day could be `lunacy` if only because the moon is so associated with the night-time that its sheer `lunacy` to expect to be able to observe the moon at all times during the day!

Which reminds me of the time one of my nieces was somewhat startled to see the Moon in the sky during the day (she was only about 8 at the time). I managed to mangle the explanation, so I don't know if she really understood what I was saying.

But it's still somewhat disconcerting to hear that adults can be surprised to see the Moon in the sky during the day. In fact, I think it's out there even as I type.

astromark
2005-Oct-27, 08:25 AM
I to was astonished by a work mate who looked rather shaken one morning when the moon was promanent over head.
"Whats wrong ?" and "Is it crashing ?"
I just said to him. Mark it on a calander. I bet ten bucks it will be there again in just 28 days. He still dosent beleave me.

George
2005-Oct-27, 07:00 PM
I to was astonished by a work mate who looked rather shaken one morning when the moon was promanent over head.
"Whats wrong ?" and "Is it crashing ?"
I just said to him. Mark it on a calander. I bet ten bucks it will be there again in just 28 days. He still dosent beleave me.
:rolleyes: . I'll bet you're right for another 10. :)