PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Farewell Galileo

Fraser
2003-Sep-19, 07:23 PM
SUMMARY: On Sunday, September 21, the Galileo spacecraft will crash into Jupiter and end its 14 years of service to NASA - 8 of which were spent in the Jovian system. If you're interested in learning more about the spacecraft and counting down its final minutes, why don't you check out the Galileo homepage. Another useful link is the Galileo webcast page. On Sunday, they will have live coverage of the event starting at 1700 GMT (2:00pm EDT).

Just get you more in the spirit, I've got a new wallpaper of Jupiter's Great Red Spot. Now, this isn't exactly where Galileo is headed, but you can imagine what the spacecraft might be seeing in the last few minutes before it smashes into the planet. (Once you have the image in your browser, right-click and then pick "Set as Wallpaper").

Click here to download the image. (77 kb)

Thanks Galileo!

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

AstroStart.nl
2003-Sep-19, 07:24 PM
I have two questions.

1. What do you see in the live coverage? Do you see the atmosphere of Jupiter comes closer and closer? Or do you see Galileo dissapear with the Hubble, or what?

2. When does the broadcasting start in Greenwich Time... Or is that GMT? I don't get those timezones.. I'm sorry for not living in the USA B)

Fraser
2003-Sep-19, 07:32 PM
1. We aren't going to see much. If we're lucky we'll see a few final photos and some other data from the spacecraft. Its antenna has a really slow communication rate, and since it's going to be destroyed, it won't have a chance to send the information later.

2. The time is in GMT. I always put times on the site in GMT. I don't live in the US either. ;-)