PDA

View Full Version : lightspeed

chi
2003-Sep-23, 01:56 PM
Let's pretend we can go faster than light? and go to another solar system in less then 10 hours? would'nt it be far off course because it is not there anymore? since you're seeing light that's from the past? sort of a ghost image??

chi
2003-Sep-23, 02:10 PM
Or? wouldn't you see the motion of stars in acceleration when the gap between the distance between your eye and the emmitter of light (star)....gah....stupid question..

civhawk
2003-Sep-23, 07:36 PM
In reply to the first question, no. If you took into account the time and movement of the target (not easy, but if you've got the tech to travel FTL...) then your aim point is where it will be in 10 hours, corrected for it's v changes due to various grav. influences and ajusted for the origional time delay of image travel.

2003-Sep-23, 08:25 PM
Related question

Re reports of viewing of many billion light year distant objects, aren't they now actually much more distant?

QJones
2003-Sep-23, 09:01 PM
I get you ...

The stars we're looking at were actually there 4-10,000 years ago. If we had FTL, we'd have to extrapolate we're they'd be today. Probably pretty simple, I'd guess, since the motion of the stars can be determined.

Why? You developed FTL and having trouble getting to stars? :)

major_eh
2003-Sep-24, 01:44 AM
Easy enough to figure where your target is in 10 hours if you had FTL technology anyways.
But how MUCH faster than light?
If in 10 hours you could travel a couple of billion light years away, the system you were looking at from Earth may not even be there.

major_eh
2003-Sep-24, 01:47 AM
Oops..
I guess I should be more specific and say it may not exist anymore.
:wacko:

chi
2003-Sep-24, 05:05 PM
But why is the universe lagging?

Deep_Eye
2003-Sep-25, 10:27 PM
It isn't. It's all relative.

Jose Carlos
2003-Sep-26, 04:02 PM
Hi everybody! All in this universe is relative, and most of people has razon about when you start the voyage and the place when you arrived is not the same in time and space, the only way that you can stay inmediatly is with thought but all is relative dont you think?

moon
2003-Sep-29, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by chi@Sep 23 2003, 01:56 PM
Let's pretend we can go faster than light? and go to another solar system in less then 10 hours? would'nt it be far off course because it is not there anymore? since you're seeing light that's from the past? sort of a ghost image??
:huh: must be very terrible, move btw people...no body know we do exist :P
B) can do many thing wor....... :unsure: how about cancel all athlete competition, since meaningless!?!?

lilandpeter
2003-Sep-30, 08:24 PM
It would seem obvious that the only way to navigate in a system through which you are travelling faster than the speed of light; i.e
warp speed would be:
a.)calculate your own warp speed
b.)use a quantum mechanical device to
c.)calculate the gravity of the objects around,
d.)time the warp speed to the 'target object's time/distance.
e.)divide your w/speed into the target/.
and bingo............you have direction/speed/distance and destination.
all this is simplified into a D3. calculator. Dr. Peter Elliott .

lilandpeter
2003-Sep-30, 08:24 PM
It would seem obvious that the only way to navigate in a system through which you are travelling faster than the speed of light; i.e
warp speed would be:
a.)calculate your own warp speed
b.)use a quantum mechanical device to
c.)calculate the gravity of the objects around,
d.)time the warp speed to the 'target object's time/distance.
e.)divide your w/speed into the target/.
and bingo............you have direction/speed/distance and destination.
all this is simplified into a D3. calculator. Dr. Peter Elliott .

eggplant
2003-Oct-01, 03:36 AM
cough, cough,
<best Yoda voice>
To where it was you must go, yeeees

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-01, 08:43 AM
Better hope there aren't any wandering planets out there that you might run into at light-speed, might have something of an adverse effect on the Space Craft. I'd imagine they'd be hard to detect too far in advance if you're already moving at light-speed as well.

Personally, this is why I think its a step too far too envisage galaxy colonisation anytime soon.