PDA

View Full Version : Memory Disorder???

supermarket
2003-Sep-24, 10:28 AM

This may seem entirely trivial and irrelevant but, given that Fraser allows us to talk about anything, here goes:

How can anyone forget to take their child to school? How?

I got to work this morning to an extremely irate phonecall from the ex-missus asking where I was. I could not believe that I had forgotten to take my illustrious offspring to its place of intellectual enhancement. Unfortunately this has happened before. Apart from a brain-transplant or cutting my head off, I'm not sure what I can do about this. One of my parents suffers from a memory disorder. Am I going the same way?

Serious ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Supermarket.

WendellG
2003-Sep-24, 08:49 PM
Ok, in all seriousness. As a licensed nurse I know that there are blood tests that can be done which look for the presence of certain protiens at certain levels. The presence and levels of these protiens can indicate which type or types of dimentias that a person is going through. Now, I have talked to many Dr's. on this subject and there is no concensus as to wheather-or-not any or all dimentias are genetic in origin. So, there you go.

The good news is that about 99% of all people who seek a Dr. about a possible dimentia are given a clean bill of health. For most of us, memory improvement gets better with some easy lifestyle changes ie... get more sleep, eat balanced meals, reduce the stressors in you life where you can, and proper exercise.

Anyway, if you are concerned, by all means, seek out a Dr. and follow his or her advice.

Semper Fi,

Wendell

P.S. Remember these two rules:

1. Don't worry about the small stuff.
2. It is all small stuff.

DippyHippy
2003-Sep-26, 04:58 AM
LOL Wendell re your two simple rules

I read recently as well about how under-estimated the humble glass of water can be... I (appropriately!) can't remember all the points listed, but aside from general fatigue, I think a lack of sufficient water intake (ie, NOT coffee LOL) can cause temporary memory loss.

Now then, where was I...?

Dips

supermarket
2003-Sep-29, 12:45 PM

Hi.

Many thanks for your constructive answers to my cry for help.

Oh, dear: choose between water and coffee?
Exercise: yes
Balanced diet: yes, more or less
Small things: workin' on it.

Thanks again.

Supermarket.

Josh
2003-Sep-30, 10:56 AM
Perhaps you just don't love your children?

Luddite
2003-Sep-30, 10:05 PM
In all seriousness I have been diagnosed with short time memory loss.

Cause: Dehydration

Solution: Drink 8 cups of water each day.

While talking I forget what word I was about to use. I will walk out of my bed room in the morning and forget where I am going. You name it I forget it. However, my situation is getting better now that I have been drinking more water. And as someone said before you must drink water! Not Soda, not coffee, not any other drink that includes water in its ingredients, just plain water. Cheers! Drink up. ;)

eggplant
2003-Oct-01, 02:53 AM
One of the tricky things I found as a "part time parent", call it half time... was getting the routine set. Since I pick her up tomorrow, I take out the garbage tonight... That's how I remember it's garbage night... It was hard getting her in my routine in the morning. Getting her up first was the eventual answer. She's old enough now to do most everything on her own so I can do that. If they still require hand over hand, try to get sleep, but get up first... it's a delicate balance.
Until you can get a routine established, sticky notes...
and do drink lots of water. As an ex nurse I concur with those guys.

Tinaa
2003-Oct-02, 01:09 AM
According to the psychodynamic theory, you must have been forgotten sometime in your childhood and must go through analysis. The cognitive theory says you must have perceived forgetting your child, therefore, you must change your perceptions. A behaviorist will say you have learned to forget your child through conditioning, so you must unlearn it. The biological theory says you must have a physiological disorder and you need drugs. A realists will tell you eveyone makes mistakes. I bet you won't make this particular one again!

imported_Draco
2003-Oct-03, 11:50 AM
I had a very good memory in primary school, it continued that way up to year 8 and sometime into year 9. BUt then sometimes i could like forget small things...but it wasn't serious....i think it might be me not getting enough sleep. Coz seriously, , i sometimes go to bed at around 11 and more than that! This started likenear the end of last year and it continues like this now in year 10!:\ Maybe you haven't gotten enough sleep?

Chook
2003-Nov-25, 10:33 PM
Gee, I dunno - I think some people naturally have "good" memories; others. like myself, have "bad" memories - which I have recognised for years now. I just compensate by being very methodical - then I don't have to remember so hard.

The funny thing is that my wife is a language major and just soaks up a new language - but then, if she doesn't use it, she loses it just as quickly. I busted my brains learning German (because I had to) and it's years since we've left Austria but I still remember the language as if it were yesterday.

So perhaps we all have different sorts of memory - soft, hard or whatever.

The main thing is to remember to put your pants on when you leave home in the morning ...??!!

Graceless
2003-Nov-25, 10:47 PM
I have a knack for recalling odd bits of history and and generally anything that will allow me to win in Trivial Pursuit.

I just have a terrible memory when it comes to recalling things when forced to. Usually when Josh calls me on it. Any help with THAT would be fantastic.

And I remember to put on pants at least 75% of the time. *thumbs up*

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-29, 12:25 AM
Same here Graceless (re memory, not the pants thing)

I can remember trivia and I can remember quite detailed events from the past but sometimes my mind goes blank over the most basic things... sorry, what were we talking about?

Hey, anybody see Finding Nemo? Didn't Dori just totally steal the show?? :D

kashi
2003-Nov-29, 03:50 AM
I think there is also much evidence to support the idea that memory function is maintained by using your memory. For instance if you are playing piano or studying full time you are more likely to have a good memory...apparently.

Graceless
2003-Nov-29, 04:27 AM
I play the piano, eat my green and orange vegetables, and try to use my brain for a good part of the day. Maybe I'm just an oddball?

In all seriousness....

Who am I kidding?

Dori was awesome.

Josh
2003-Nov-29, 10:20 AM
I know you were waiting for me to say it ... so I'll say it.

You ARE an oddball!

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-30, 01:30 AM
Hey, nothing wrong with being odd or even an oddball... clinically insane? Well, that's another matter :D

eggplant
2003-Nov-30, 06:14 AM
I used to make judgements on such things as part of my former occupation on a daily basis. And Dip, my friend, you ain't even scratching the surface. Ganted you're at least a full standard deviation and all, I admire you greatly, (and I haven't really read enough of your posts to really know you) but I learned something really important for my own sanity, (cause I used to think I was out there) When they ARE insane lad... there is NO QUESTION in inbodies head on the issue... If there's a question they're probably having a natural reaction to their environment... I've heard dozens of horror stories followed by "and I'm depressed" to which I almost always responded... You should be! Those folks were not insane ;)

Back to the topic:
Ginko Biloba... Science is now demonstrating what dippy hippies knew all along, if you wanna remember something, get your brain in the frame to retain...

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-30, 10:13 PM
egg, ya right... the world is full of geeks 'n' freaks :blink: