PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Up Next, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Fraser
2003-Sep-25, 10:27 PM
SUMMARY: Earth's closest approach to Mars is past, but it'll just be another two years until the planets are close together again - time to send more probes. Next up will be NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which will make a detailed inspection of the Martian surface; imaging objects as small as a coffee table. It will also be able to scan underground layers for evidence of water and ice, and measure the atmosphere above the surface to find vents of water vapour escaping from below the surface. The spacecraft is expected to launch on August 10, 2005.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Vince Fukes
2003-Sep-26, 01:22 AM
Fraser,

Why would NASA need to send a probe to mars to look for coffee tables? or is it because if they find some they can use them as a proof of life :-)

v

Josh
2003-Sep-26, 02:54 AM
Hahaha !! Vince! i was going to make the same joke! well spotted.

I know NASA has a goal of landing humans on the moon. So I tried searching their various sites to see if there was a game plan actually written out. I couldn't find one. Does anyone know of an actual document that states NASA's intentions regarding getting to Mars and the pre-missions needed for it? Or is all this just a stall for time until they have the money to actually just go?