PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Ozone Hole Isn't Quite the Record

Fraser
2003-Sep-25, 10:27 PM
SUMMARY: The ozone hole above Antarctica is the second largest ever recorded this year, covering 28.2 million square kilometres - down slightly from the record in 2000. The observations were made by NASA's Earth Probe Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer and the NOAA's Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet instrument, and were confirmed by balloon-carried instruments. Even through chlorofluorocarbons, which destroy the ozone in our atmosphere, were banned in 1995, they're still abundant and it'll probably take another 50 years before the ozone hole disappears completely.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

SCHNECK
2003-Sep-26, 09:33 AM
:ph34r:
Hi,

--TL sensitivity of meteorites in Antarctica have reflected the possibility coating of the feldspar grains due to the iron oxide mobility during progressing weathering(1).
--Reduction in Biomass production have also been detected(2)above Antarctica.

Therese Schneck Civil Engineer Master's Degree in Mathematics.
thereseschneck@usa.com

(1)Mossbauer and TL studies of meteorites from Frontier Mountain Antarctica.
(2)Mesozooplankton community structure and grazing impact in the Polar Frontal Zone of the south Indian Ocean during austral autumn 2002
Bernard, K.S.; Froneman, P.W.

Abstract Mesozooplankton community structure and grazing impact were investigated at 13 stations in the Polar Frontal Zone during the second Marion Offshore Variability Ecosystem Study (MOVES II), conducted during April 2002. Total integrated chl-a biomass ranged between 11.17 and 28.34 mg chl-a m-2 and was always dominated by nano- and picophytoplankton (20 m). Throughout the study, small copepods, mainly Oithona similis and Ctenocalanus vanus, numerically dominated the mesozooplankton community, composing up to 85% (range 30-85%) of the total abundance. (modified journ. abst.)
URL http://hdl.handle.net/10.1007/s00300-002-0472-x
Publication Type journal article
Record ID 74869

DippyHippy
2003-Sep-27, 03:36 AM
Hmmm... interesting...

...am I right in thinking then that the Ozone layer can effectively repair itself within 50 years? I thought it would take hundreds of years... although having said that, I have no idea where I got that impression from LOL