PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Canada Joins Galileo System

Fraser
2003-Oct-08, 07:00 PM
SUMMARY: The Canadian Space Agency announced today that it will be contributing to the development of Galileo, the space-based navigation system being created by the European Space Agency - similar to the US Global Positioning System. Canada will contribute $11 million which will open up the development stage of the project to accept bids from Canadian contractors. China announced a similar commitment last month. Galileo is expected to be fully operational by 2008.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Haglund
2003-Oct-09, 12:35 PM
I think this is a good thing that will make sure this project will fly by 2008. Apparently the precision is greater even for civilians with this system, which sounds really good.

Josh
2003-Oct-09, 01:25 PM
I was reading something a while ago about GPS and its habit of being wrong. I don't know much abou GPS so anyone care to tell me more about that? I was reading about the GPS systems in cars etc not the military version. Is there any difference? Errors i recall were things like the system telling the driver that he had to turn left instead of right or that the intersection was 200m down the road when it was actually 20m. I was wondering if these same things could be the reasons for so many reported "friendly fire" mishaps ?? Any ideas?

Planetwatcher
2003-Oct-11, 06:14 PM
Considering my employer is involved in GPS I might have some qulified input.

I don't know of GPS ever being wrong, or telling sombody to turn left instead of right. I think that may be a software problem.

As for differences between civilian and military usage, that's pretty much classified.
However I do know civilian GPS will get you to within a hundred feet of your destination, whereas a GPS guided missile will land less then 5 feet from it's intended target.
If you watched Operation Enduring Freedom on TV like the rest of us, you saw a lot of GPS at work. Especially those missiles launched from ships in the gulf that destroyed specific buildings in downtown Bagdad hundreds of miles away, yet didn't disrupt power or water for civilians until the last days of the active part of the war.

Canada's space program will be hard pressed to duplicate or improve on anything like GPS.