PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: NASA Working on a Solution to ...

Fraser
2003-Oct-09, 09:34 PM
SUMMARY: NASA gave a progress update this week on how their safety improvements to the space shuttle are going. It turns out, a $.99 foam brush does the best job of applying a special patch material that the astronauts can use to repair the shuttle's heat tiles. They're also working on ways to get better photos of the shuttle as it launches - even at night; currently the shuttle's exhaust is too bright at night to really see the vehicle well enough to spot problems. The space shuttle Atlantis will likely be the next to launch, some time in September 2004.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

BARoberts
2003-Oct-09, 11:05 PM
Your summary includes "They're also working on ways to get better photos of the shuttle as it launches - even at night; currently the shuttle's exhaust is too bright at night to really see the vehicle well enough to spot problems." But this does not seem to come from the article in question.

I thought I had read elsewhere that future night launches were either extremely unlikely due to imaging problems, or had already been ruled out completely.

Please share with us the source for the night vision stuff.

Thanks,
Bruce

BARoberts
2003-Oct-09, 11:42 PM
Well, I guess I found it at;
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...3-2003Oct8.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63323-2003Oct8.html)

But I wonder why you didn't mention it, since "NASA said on Wednesday it may have solved one of the most vexing problems in its struggle to return its space shuttles to flight." which turns out not to be whether to buy the 99c foam brushes at WalMart or K-Mart.

Saving it for tomorrow?

Bruce

Matthew
2003-Oct-10, 09:37 AM
If these .99 c foam brushes are the best then they must be the best (at least you hope). But I think the price may go up if someone says which .99 c foam brush is going to be used on the shuttle, because the company will probably boost the price and say that their brush is used on the shuttle!

KB3HTS
2003-Oct-10, 01:48 PM
Not really. Firstly, NASA doesn't need ten million brushes. Secondly, tragic as it is, people don't have their own space shuttles to use the foam brush on...

Matthew
2003-Oct-11, 04:50 AM
Its stilla good marketing ploy. If I were head of that company, thats what I would say...