PDA

View Full Version : How Thick is the Universe

SOMSOC
2003-Oct-10, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

Do you guys have any idea how thick the universe is?, if light streaches out 13.5 billion years, does that mean light goes up, down as well, if this is the case then the baloon theory would be correct, I still find it hard to get my head around the whole baloon Idea.

Hope you can shed some light on this, you all seem so well versed on all the topics, I am glad I found this site as I am new to all this.

Dave Mitsky
2003-Oct-10, 02:15 PM
From Ned Wright's excellent tutorial on cosmology (see http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog...ogy_faq.html#RB (http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#RB) ):

Is the Universe really infinite or just really big?

We have observations that say that the radius of curvature of the Universe is bigger than 70 billion light years. But the observations allow for either a positive or negative curvature, and this range includes the flat Universe with infinite radius of curvature. So we know empirically that the Universe is bigger than several times the observable Universe. Since we can only look at small piece of an object that has a large radius of curvature, it looks flat. The simplest mathematical model for computing the observed properties of the Universe is then flat Euclidean space. This model is infinite, but what we know about the Universe is that it is really big.

Dave Mitsky

Guest_Frank
2003-Oct-10, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by SOMSOC@Oct 10 2003, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

Do you guys have any idea how thick the universe is?, if light streaches out 13.5 billion years, does that mean light goes up, down as well, if this is the case then the baloon theory would be correct, I still find it hard to get my head around the whole baloon Idea.

Hope you can shed some light on this, you all seem so well versed on all the topics, I am glad I found this site as I am new to all this.
My question is,, I have her the Universe might be definte instead of indifinite. Example like a soccer ball shape. If this is the case, what is beyond that? There has to be something beyond the universe itself? Any idea?

SOMSOC
2003-Oct-11, 12:22 AM
Hi All,
I know nobody can really tell the true shape of the universe(unless we coulld stand beyond it) (if there is a beyond) God this universe of ours really is mind boggling.

I would like your humble opnions on how this the universe is?, it would settle my mind a lot!!.

Ta very much

Martin

2005-Feb-03, 11:03 PM
the question i pose is what if space, the nothingness it's self is really just another dimension in it's self. And it is somehow a somewhat tangeable thing. Then can it be streached and if so then can it be ripped and if it can then that means that there is a definate anount of space but then what is the effect of that streach or tear on the rest of space?