PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: China Finally Reveals Launch Plans

Fraser
2003-Oct-10, 04:24 PM
SUMMARY: After years of secrecy, the Chinese government has finally revealed details of its upcoming launch. As predicted by media and industry insiders, Shenzhou 5 will launch some time between October 15 and 17. The flight will last between 14 orbits, or 21 hours - not the single orbit previously reported. They revealed that there are three astronaut candidates at the launch facility, but not the number that will actually ride in the spacecraft on this first flight.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

I, Brian
2003-Oct-10, 07:41 PM
Maybe this could be the beginnings of another space race. Certainly the USA has little incentive to push the boudnaries of the human exploration of space since the Iron Curtain fell down. China may hopefully be an important enough rival to force the USA to become more forward thinking on the entire space issue.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-12, 01:58 AM
I think that depends on China's intentions... I know some people have said they've stated they will aim for the Moon but I haven't read anything *officially* yet...

Matthew
2003-Oct-12, 04:11 AM
I've heard that China wants to get to Mars by 2025 (or was it 2050?).

But China should be powerful enough, strong enough, important enough for America to try and find better ways to get to Space, but it might not be NASA who makes that decision, it could ultimatly be the military.

Cartman
2003-Oct-12, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by DippyHippy@Oct 12 2003, 01:58 AM
I think that depends on China's intentions... I know some people have said they've stated they will aim for the Moon but I haven't read anything *officially* yet...
I heared China wants to get to the Moon in 10 years or may be just three years, but there is no any plan for Mars yet. In fact, they already start a plan call "Change“ in March for a feasibility study. But I don't think they will sent a man, probably an explorer robot.

The Follow news is from Chinese official News official, Xinhua News Agency.

"BEIJING, Oct.8, (Xinhuanet) -- China plans to launch an explorer to the
Moon as early as in three years time. The Beijing Youth Daily newspaper reports
that the Chang'e lunar probe will probably take a three-phase journey to the
Moon, which is 380 thousand kilometers from earth.

Named after a mythical lady who flew to the Moon for a lonely but peaceful
and harmonious life, Chang'e will travel for less than week, before its lunar
orbiting mission. "

The Full Story you can read from here.

http://202.84.17.73:7777/Detail.wct?RecID=2&SelectID=1&ChannelID=6034&Page=1

zephyr46
2003-Oct-13, 01:32 AM
Wasn't Russia talking about getting to Mars by 2025? And India talliong about getting to the Moon 2010, or thereabouts?