PDA

View Full Version : pop-ups and custom colous

I, Brian
2003-Oct-10, 07:52 PM
Hi there -

This looks like it could be a really interesting site.

The first problem is the incessant pop-ups. I've got a blocker up, so I don't see them - but even still my mouse arrow flashing constantly to show a pop-up was blocked is proving disconcerting. Pop-ups are a horrible way to admin a site. If you need the revenue I sincerely advise more advertising links - but, really, does it need to revenue anyway?

Also, I'd recommend you customise the look of your IPB board somewhat. The standard blue just doesn't with the rest of your site - a bit of a carbuncle if the truth be told.

So, overall, a promising site - but I think these are two areas you can strengthen your web presence and give a more deserved professional polish.

2c.

Fraser
2003-Oct-10, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback Brian, I appreciate it.

The popup is "supposed" to only show up once ever for each person. Essentially it's an introduction to the site, it sets a cookie and then never pops up again. That said, if you have cookies disabled on your browser, or you're using something non-standard there might be an incompatibility, so I appreciate that. If you can let me know your browser, I'll do some testing and see if it'll behave.

If you hate popups, I suggest Mozilla or Firebird as a browser, but I can appreciate if people have their preferences.

Regarding the colours, no question. Customizing the board would be very useful; however, the development and testing can be pretty time intensive. I'm currently wrestling with mailing list software, so it's way down my priority list.

Some people will spot the default IPB installation and snort derisively, but I always feel it's the content and the community that really brings people back.

Thanks again!

I, Brian
2003-Oct-11, 06:54 AM
No problem, and thanks for the reply.

I'm using IE 6, cookies enabled, but it seems to keep coming up at every page load. From what you say, I wonder if it's possible that the script is constantly trying to greet me - and not being able to do so, keeps trying! I'm simply relieved it's not ads and have no further issue.

As for the customisation - I do quite appreciate that a webmaster has many tasks! The colours is not an essential issue, but would make for something better presented. I have little experience with IPB, but am under the impression that default template can be difficult to play with.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-12, 01:51 AM
For the record, I only get the pop-up once and if George Lucas with all his millions can get away with it, then I don't see why Fraser shouldn't ;)

Secondly, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... I think the colours are fine :)

kashi
2003-Oct-13, 12:09 AM
I don't have any popups, and I also use IE 6.

I agree about the colour scheme, but I also agree with Fraser that forums aren't meant to be beautiful aesthetic creation, rather a source of interesting content.

Josh
2003-Oct-13, 11:08 AM
I have no doubt this has to do with my computer. I only got the pop-up once at the beginning or if I log into a new computer. Fair enough, the cookie still has to be registered. BUT, now all of a sudden I'm getting a pop-up every time i change page. I have no idea what the pop-up is. the google toolbar blocks it. any ideas why the sudden change? It's only with this website too.

Matthew
2003-Oct-13, 11:22 AM
I use IE6, XP Home and its fine on my computer. Have you got cookies enabled on your computer? Or do you delete your cookies?

kashi
2003-Oct-15, 06:02 AM
Check for spyware. www.lavasoft.de

I, Brian
2003-Oct-16, 02:09 PM
It's not spyware - just not a good use of pop-up. My toolbar blocks whatever keeps trying to come up. Cookies are not blocked.

As for colours - really, a website is an act of presentation. Certainly content is highly important - but the frame with which the content is presented is quite important, really, for attracting return visitors. A forum is not simply about presenting information, but encouraging interraction - and in these days of the internet being flooded with forums, custom presentation should not be under-rated. However, it may not need to be a priotity - but it's something that generally ought to be looked at for the long term.

Josh
2003-Oct-17, 04:03 AM
I, Brian, hey there.

I think this might help. go into your internet options and then privacy then click on advanced. in there you can choose what cookies you allow. Allow first-party cookies and everything should be okay.

Fraser
2003-Oct-17, 03:08 PM
That's what I do. I allow all first party cookies and deny third-party cookies - those are the ones that track your movements from site to site. The first party cookies do all kinds of useful things.

Polly V
2003-Oct-19, 06:40 PM
I didn't know that about the third party coookies. Thanks for the information, I'll disable them asap.