PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Movies

Matthew
2003-Oct-11, 07:44 AM
Sci-fi movies differ a lot from sci-fi books. So much more data can be put into a book, than in a movie. Sci-fi movies are there to please the audience, and most audiences don't want to be swamped with complex scientific anology which you need to understand just to comprehend the plot. Movies are more about making money.

I must admit I love the Matrix and its sequel, a lot of people who know me just roll their eyes when I start talking about it, I just love the movie.

So what is your favourite sci-fi movie?

Haglund
2003-Oct-11, 07:59 AM
The Matrix
Contact
Star Trek (All of them, although First Contact is the last in the series I saw)

Josh
2003-Oct-11, 09:05 AM
There are HEAPS of great sci fi flicks! 'Star Trek first contact' is really great! But one that keeps coming back to mind is 'Tron'! Anyone else seen that? About the guy who gets stuck in the computer system???

Planetwatcher
2003-Oct-11, 03:56 PM
My God, where to start with scifi movies? :unsure:

That range can include Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, the Superman series,
the Hulk, Spiderman, most of Gov. -elect Swartenhager movies; as well as The Abyss, Deep Impact, Edward Scissors hands, Back to the Future series, The Green Slime, and even Dr. Doolittlle. :huh:

I think we need to get more specific. ;)

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-12, 02:12 AM
LOL Tron - I have that on DVD... rumours still persist of a Tron v2.0 sequel being produced...

For me, my fave film of all time is still Blade Runner. Superb. It works on many subtle layers... it got me reading the works of Philip K Dick, the sci-fi author who wrote the book the film was *loosely* based on - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Dick is my favourite author - he has a fascination with what it means to be human plus an obsession with post apocalyptic Earth that speaks volumes about the 1950's era during which he was at his most prolific.

Other than that, I'm a Star Wars junkie and I like the Matrix too...

Contact holds a special place in my heart because of Carl Sagan - and apart from anything else, for a movie it remains quite true to the original novel and both give an accurate portrayal of how we're likely to discover definitive proof of extra-terrestrial life.

I don't care what anyone says about the "my dad is an alien" ending - if I could stand on that beach and stare up at that sky, I'd be a happy camper...

Haglund
2003-Oct-12, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Planetwatcher@Oct 11 2003, 03:56 PM
My God, where to start with scifi movies? :unsure:

the Hulk, Spiderman, most of Gov. -elect Swartenhager movies; as well as The Abyss, Deep Impact, Edward Scissors hands, Back to the Future series, The Green Slime, and even Dr. Doolittlle. :huh:

I think we need to get more specific. ;)
I am specific, but I wonder if you are? How would LOTR and Harry Potter fit as science fiction? Isn't it fantasy? But, this is very common, the confusion of fantasy and sci-fi etc. I agree it's difficult to make a clear definition here. Superman, in my opinion barely makes it. It's more adventure than sci-fi. Schwarzeneggers sci-fi movies were the Terminator series, and I would add Sixth Day to it as well. The Abyss and Deep Impact, yes, as well as Back to the Future. Edward Scissorhands, I don't know anything about that one. Science fiction are stories where science, (real, possible, imagined or future,) play a major role in the plot, or that would be my lose definition anyway.

Haglund
2003-Oct-12, 08:28 AM
*** May be some SPOILERS for the movie Contact here. I made that part bright yellow to make it harder to read by mistake. Highlight it to read... ***

Contact holds a special place in my heart because of Carl Sagan - and apart from anything else, for a movie it remains quite true to the original novel and both give an accurate portrayal of how we're likely to discover definitive proof of extra-terrestrial life.

I don't care what anyone says about the "my dad is an alien" ending - if I could stand on that beach and stare up at that sky, I'd be a happy camper...

Yeah I've heard people be negative about that. But as they say, they read her memory to construct a world in order to make things easier. And somehow it connects back to when she was young as she tried to talk to her dad with her radio, I guess. Anyway, the beach scene, and the entire trip in that machine btw, was excellent. The atmosphere and the feeling when just before and during the startup of the machine was perfect as well. Anyway, the thing that really kept me annoyed as I walked out of the theatre was how they knew the machine was probably working and they covered it up.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-13, 02:47 AM
Parker, following your lead, my comments should appear in yellow too so those who haven't seen the film won't see it...

The whole thing about the cover up was in the book... and I liked it because you know that like all good conspiracies, the truth would leak out eventually and Ellie would be vindicated.

Also, the next time you watch the film, watch for the scene when a young Ellie draws Pensicola for her Dad - the picture has two palm trees, with one bent over. Now watch at the end - the beach she's standing on is a replica of the scene she drew as a child :)

Planetwatcher
2003-Oct-13, 03:58 AM
So then we are looking at proper sci fi such as Star Trek, The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, Logan's Run, and maybe Mad Max, and Judge Dread. B)

What about Waterworld, Godzilla, The Dark Crystal, and dinosaur flicks. :D

Time Bandits was one that really got me thinking when I wasn't laughing. :D

I recall one I really liked but don't remember the title.
Richard Thomas (John boy from the Waltons) played a young space pilot with his equally nieve girlfriend on board a very strange looking ship practally run by a computer with a female voice and an attitude. :rolleyes:

Some badass bullies in a huge ship which looked more like a garbage skow threatened to take over the planet, so this young couple in the apparent only space ship on the planet went searching for mercearies to help fight the bad guys and came back with quite a rag tag team of aleians and ships.
Of course they did whup *** in the end. :rolleyes:

Saturn 5 and Total Recall also come to mind as among faves. :P

But now I didn&#39;t understand 2001 Space Odesey, nor did I figure out 2010, although I did like the music. <_<

Lost in Space (the movie) was great, and kept me on the edge of the seat.

And I can watch the Jurasic Park series over and over. In fact my son does. :)

zephyr46
2003-Oct-13, 04:11 AM
Does this include cartoons? Star Blazers, if you haven&#39;t seen it you gotta, all of the navy ships, turned into star ships, big guns, :D realy big guns :lol:
sorry, I&#39;m loosing, there is some crap in this genre, scuse the term, Plan nine from outer space :lol: , capricorn 4, battle beyond the stars, just couldn&#39;t compete with battle star galacttica. Aliens and one of my faves starship troopers, action and some interesting social commentary, same with First Contact, Start Trek is Astro-ethics 101

Dave Mitsky
2003-Oct-13, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Planetwatcher@Oct 11 2003, 03:56 PM
My God, where to start with scifi movies?* :unsure:

the Hulk, Spiderman,* most of Gov. -elect* Swartenhager movies;* as well as The Abyss, Deep Impact, Edward Scissors hands, Back to the Future series, The Green Slime, and even Dr. Doolittlle.* :huh:

I think we need to get more specific.* ;)

LOTR, Harry Potter, Edward Scissorhands (not Scissorshands), and Dr. Doolittle all belong to the category of fantasy.

Comic book superheroes usually have a science fiction origin but in most cases movies about them are probably best included in a separate genre.

I was rather disappointed in Contact. A major plot device in the book (the message hidden in pi) was not included and the protagonist&#39;s character was weakend considerably. The alien scene was a bit sappy, IMO.

Dave Mitsky

MarQ
2003-Oct-19, 08:25 PM
Ya&#39;ll need to rent Forbidden Planet--Robbie the Robot and the Krell rule&#33;
I with we were as advanced in space as "2001"

VanderL
2003-Oct-19, 09:00 PM
The Alien series (especially the first and the last), 2001, 2010, The Thing (both of them), Them&#33;, Jurassic Park was enjoyable, Close Encounters as well. Anybody remember Soylent Green?

I hope the Hyperion books could be made into a movie.

all_isone
2003-Oct-22, 01:29 PM
2010, all time fave sf movie

also liked -a lot- both versions of &#39;invasion of the bodysnatchers&#39;

jimmy
2003-Nov-06, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by VanderL@Oct 19 2003, 09:00 PM
The Alien series (especially the first and the last), 2001, 2010, The Thing (both of them), Them&#33;, Jurassic Park was enjoyable, Close Encounters as well. Anybody remember Soylent Green?

I hope the Hyperion books could be made into a movie.
You mean the one with Charlton Heston? Yeah, I remember. Maybe that&#39;s why I didn&#39;t like my green vegetables???? :P

Tinaa
2003-Nov-06, 10:56 PM
I also like the Starship Troopers, both the movie and the cartoon. I liked Star Trek Insurrection. I try not to watch movies based on books I have read because I am nearly always disappointed. The Dune movie is a perfect example of a movie being unable to even come close to the book.

Haglund
2003-Nov-06, 11:03 PM
Ahh, how could I not have mentioned Starship Troopers? Of course, one of my favourites as well&#33;

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-07, 02:01 AM
I liked Starship Troopers too... it was down &#39;n&#39; dirty and had an interesting twist on the future - ie, a fascist regime in charge.

Also, it was the first DVD I bought where there was a disclaimer at the beginning that stated that the views expressed in the commentary were not the views of the production company LOL

Haglund
2003-Nov-08, 09:55 AM
Other good ones:

The Invisible Man
War of the Worlds
The Time Machine (the original is the only one I&#39;ve seen)
Independence Day

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-13, 03:46 AM
I love a good disaster movie... I love ID4 up to the part where all hell breaks loose *but* as soon as the cities get turned to dust and the screen fades to black, I lose interest LOL

Josh
2003-Nov-13, 04:57 AM
I would like it known that I thought Matrix Revolutions was utter ****e. a suped up love story with hardly any story. Dialogue that was comical ... cliched at best. Trinity took about 7 days to die. I was like, "hurry up and die already&#33;&#33;" Kiss me one last time please... oh darling. how do i love thee? let me count the ways. DIE ALREADY&#33; and the old oracle actor did a good jobn in leaving. I wouldn&#39;t want to be part of this crap either. What a crock. They should have stopped after the first one. Everyone I know left that movie questioning their own existence. the nature of their lives and the universe and reality ... what does this one do? nadda&#33;

Matthew
2003-Nov-13, 08:01 AM
Well Josh I have to disagree with you completely. It was my favourite movie of all time (with only Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers being better in my opinion). I think Revolutions rounded the series out great.

Haglund
2003-Nov-13, 10:49 AM
It was a great third and final part of the trilogy, I think, even though I did expect it to end differently that it did.

Anomander
2003-Nov-13, 10:55 PM
I was getting a bit worried there when i was reading the previous entries and the first few didn&#39;t contain the words "Starship Troopers"&#33;

Now my faith is restored&#33; lol

Blindingly good film&#33;

nearnorth
2003-Nov-18, 11:27 PM
Alien, Aliens, Blade Runner, Star Trek First Contact, Star Trek the Wrath of Khan, Galaxy Quest, Happy Accidents, The Fifth Element, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars (duh), Total Recall.

and, I&#39;m sort of embarassed to admit it, but I really liked Pitch Black.

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-21, 12:50 AM
I thought Pitch Black was fine... a new twist on the old Alien scenario....

Dave Mitsky
2003-Nov-27, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Parker@Nov 6 2003, 11:03 PM
Ahh, how could I not have mentioned Starship Troopers? Of course, one of my favourites as well&#33;
If you had read Heinlein&#39;s book you&#39;d probably have a different opinion of that piece of crap.

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2003-Nov-27, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Josh@Nov 13 2003, 04:57 AM
I would like it known that I thought Matrix Revolutions was utter ****e. a suped up love story with hardly any story. Dialogue that was comical ... cliched at best. Trinity took about 7 days to die. I was like, "hurry up and die already&#33;&#33;" Kiss me one last time please... oh darling. how do i love thee? let me count the ways. DIE ALREADY&#33; and the old oracle actor did a good jobn in leaving. I wouldn&#39;t want to be part of this crap either. What a crock. They should have stopped after the first one. Everyone I know left that movie questioning their own existence. the nature of their lives and the universe and reality ... what does this one do? nadda&#33;
I couldn&#39;t agree more. The two sequels to the Matrix were absolutely terrible.

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2003-Nov-27, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by DippyHippy@Nov 21 2003, 12:50 AM
I thought Pitch Black was fine... a new twist on the old Alien scenario....
I enjoyed Pitch Black too. Unfortunately, it unleashed Vin Diesel on the movie world.

Dave Mitsky

jmpty
2003-Nov-27, 11:45 PM
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-29, 12:11 AM
Does anyone know a British sci-fi movie from the early 60&#39;s called "The Day The Earth Caught Fire"?

The plot&#39;s a little incredible, but that&#39;s nothing new... the US and the Soviet Union (remember them? :)) both secretly detonate hydrogen bombs at the poles at the same time... this causes the Earth&#39;s axis and orbit to shift a little so that it moves slightly closer to the Sun. Of course, this then means that the world starts heating up so they decide to simultaneously detonate two more bombs at precisely the same time, believing it will correct it...

Of course, all this is unknown to the public until an investigative reporter from a London newspaper finds out the truth...

Like I said, it&#39;s a little incredible, but I think it&#39;s actually pretty well made. I have it on tape and like to watch it from time to time :)

Redrum
2007-Nov-12, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know a British sci-fi movie from the early 60's called "The Day The Earth Caught Fire"?

The plot's a little incredible, but that's nothing new... the US and the Soviet Union (remember them? :)) both secretly detonate hydrogen bombs at the poles at the same time... this causes the Earth's axis and orbit to shift a little so that it moves slightly closer to the Sun. Of course, this then means that the world starts heating up so they decide to simultaneously detonate two more bombs at precisely the same time, believing it will correct it...

Of course, all this is unknown to the public until an investigative reporter from a London newspaper finds out the truth...

Like I said, it's a little incredible, but I think it's actually pretty well made. I have it on tape and like to watch it from time to time :)

Nope.....oh......and I am british.

Are you?

Noclevername
2007-Nov-12, 04:32 PM
How about Night of the Living Thread? It's about old, dead forum threads rising from the grave...

KrisSam
2007-Nov-12, 05:28 PM
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

its about damn time someone listed this! reading through the list i was starting to get worried that no one on here had any taste!

WHAT A GREAT MOVIE!

1. the day the earth stood still
2. planet of the apes (all of 'em, except the remake)
3. star wars (IV-VI)
4. 12 monkeys
5. children of men (though this isnt so much about space, its classified as sci-fi)
6. 2001
7. alien (also aliens and aliens 3)
8. back to the future (all of em)
9. close encounters
10. the matrix (the first one)

* honorable mention
terminator 2
blade runner

pilgrim
2007-Nov-12, 06:54 PM
Galaxy Quest

I love that one and, what's more, that's the only sci-fi film my mum would watch without having to be ducktaped to th furniture!

I liked the first matrix but didn't see the others. Also, Frank Herbert's Children of Dune as done by SciFi chanel in the mini series (and most certainly not any David Lynch version of Dune!) was excellent. I also have a soft spot for Stargate movie (James Spader was really good in that, any dodgy dialogue aside). Then there's the usual original Star Wars trilogy and Star Trek first contact (or what was its name).

Noclevername
2007-Nov-12, 06:56 PM
Galaxy Quest, the best Star Trek film ever. ;)

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-13, 12:04 AM
How about Night of the Living Thread? It's about old, dead forum threads rising from the grave...
Scary! But the scariest of all is Night of the Living CTs.

Maksutov
2007-Nov-13, 06:48 AM
You have to love the first post in this ancient thread.
11-October-2003, 02:44 AM http://www.bautforum.com/customavatars/avatar6048_0.gif (http://www.bautforum.com/members/matthew.html) Matthew (http://www.bautforum.com/members/matthew.html) http://www.bautforum.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
http://www.bautforum.com/images/misc/im_msn.gif (http://www.bautforum.com/off-topic-babbling/21506-sci-fi-movies.html#) Matthew's favorite movie has to be The Time Machine.

HenrikOlsen
2007-Nov-14, 04:55 AM
Silent Running.

brianok
2007-Nov-14, 02:19 PM
Check out the movie

"The Hidden"

superb science fiction flick

Noclevername
2007-Nov-14, 02:25 PM
Check out the movie

"The Hidden"

superb science fiction flick

What a coincidence, there was a completely crappy movie by the same name. The one with Claudia Christian as the stripper possessed by an alien muppet slug?

mike alexander
2007-Nov-14, 11:06 PM
I'm glad HenrikOlsen mentioned Silent Running. Doug Trumbull spaceships, Peter Schickele score, the Joan Baez songs.

Elegiac; the final scene with the droids caring for the forest with Baez singing "In the Sun" will bring tears to my eyes.

Noclevername
2007-Nov-14, 11:09 PM
The original Terminator. Sometimes big budgets just get in the way.

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-15, 12:32 AM
Apollo 13 is scientific historical drama, if that counts. I always cry at the end.
Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a great, animated, fantasy-steampunk tale of adventure and exploration.

MentalAvenger
2007-Nov-15, 05:37 AM
Silent Running
Forbidden Planet
The Time Machine
Omega Man
Quiet Earth

mfumbesi
2007-Nov-15, 12:35 PM
Predator (sci-fi/horror/action)
Terminator I&II
Alien
Time Machine

Noclevername
2007-Nov-15, 04:34 PM
The original Star Wars trilogy-- theatrical release, not the CGI Dance Remix versions. From the Star Trek films, Wrath of Khan. The first Predator, the first and second Aliens, the rescored Metropolis, Destination Moon, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, John Carpenter's The Thing, the first Robocop, Blade Runner.

I liked E.T. as a kid but it seems slightly hokey now, ditto for the Disney version of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and the 1960's Time Machine, and Tron.

Some films like The Planet Of The Apes, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Things to Come, the first Invasion fo the Body Snatchers, Westworld, Soylent Green, the first War of the Worlds, 2001, and others are science fiction classics, though not my first choice for entertainment value.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-15, 05:01 PM
My favorite scifi flicks:

Forbidden Planet
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Destination Moon
Solaris (original and remake)
The Matrix
Contact
Blade Runner
The Abyss
Tron

BTW, I see that there will be a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still in 2008:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

Noclevername
2007-Nov-15, 05:20 PM
BTW, I see that there will be a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still in 2008:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

Yes! More remakes! That's what audiences are clamoring for, more remakes!

:doh:

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-15, 05:25 PM
Yes! More remakes! That's what audiences are clamoring for, more remakes!

:doh:

Now now. I see you like the remake of The Thing From Another World. :)

I wonder what happened to the remake of Forbidden Planet?

Noclevername
2007-Nov-15, 05:34 PM
Now now. I see you like the remake of The Thing From Another World.

Bzzt, wrong answer! The Thing was a proper adaptation of Who Goes There. It was far closer to the original source material that the wacky "space carrot" concept of TTFAP. The only thing it had in common was two words of the name.

Tucson_Tim
2007-Nov-15, 05:41 PM
Bzzt, wrong answer! The Thing was a proper adaptation of Who Goes There. It was far closer to the original source material that the wacky "space carrot" concept of TTFAP. The only thing it had in common was two words of the name.

I never read the Campbell short story. Is it any good?

Noclevername
2007-Nov-15, 05:56 PM
I never read the Campbell short story. Is it any good?

...I only read a comic book adaptation of it.:doh: But the film captured the original story's paranoia of an alien who could become anybody perfectly.

Delvo
2007-Nov-15, 07:04 PM
I've always thought "Universal Soldier" was a good science fiction movie, misclassified as another action & martial arts movie and badly underestimated because people like to say Jean-Claude Van Damm and Dolph Lundgren are bad and so must be anything they're in. The premise involves using really advanced chemistry to restore or even enhance some functions (like movement, healing ability, muscle strength, and basic comprehension of task instructions and coordination) in corpses without the others getting in the way (like normal digestion, the normal shaking of the hands when aiming a pistol, fear, and response to pain and fatigue), to create the Universal Soldiers, which could complete missions that normal "living" soldiers couldn't.

The science wasn't overexplained, but was shown having realistic consequences, like the fact that the UniSols needed constant injections of various kinds and couldn't regulate their own temperatures or operate very long without being permanently damaged if they weren't brought back to theirfacility's contorlled environment again in time. Also, the brains generally didn't show any sign of retaining their old personalities or having much higher activity now, but there were a few occasional cases of partial reawakenings, exhibiting psychological/behavior problems because the personalities and brian functions weren't entirely intact.

JCVD and DL played UniSols in which fragments of the original personalities and memories emerged, and JCVD's "character" in particular in particular spent the movie gradually becoming more like his old living self one step at a time, making the main plot really about the people rather than the technology or the fights. And if their acting style(s) is/are normally too stiff and unnatural for most human characters, it's what made them perfect for these roles.

Let's just not talk about the completely unrelated and dissimilar "sequel" with a similar name...:eek:

KaiYeves
2007-Nov-15, 08:23 PM
The original Star Wars trilogy-- theatrical release, not the CGI Dance Remix versions.
Indeed!
The Iron Giant- this was where, as an eight-year-old, I first heard of Sputnik.
Contact- Because it just rocks!

Noclevername
2007-Nov-15, 08:30 PM
Indeed!
The Iron Giant- this was where, as an eight-year-old, I first heard of Sputnik. I should've included that one on my list of favorites, too.

Contact- Because it just rocks!
Eh, the book may have rocked, the movie not so much.

DarkSamurai
2007-Nov-16, 05:33 PM
I'll go with:

Contact
I, Robot
2001/2010
Alien/Aliens
Starship Troopers
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Running Man
Event Horizon
Spaceballs
Galaxy Quest
Cowboy Bebop

blueshift
2007-Nov-18, 05:12 AM
I used to like watching Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce in the old Sherlock Holmes films years ago. They showed me to scruitinize a situation carefully before drawing conclusions. Charlie Chan films were made in the same light. I was then hoping that some day a film director would come along and experiment with the concept of letting the audience play the role of the detective. Kubrick came out with 2001 and fulfilled my wish.

yuzuha
2007-Nov-18, 09:54 AM
Hm, I have fond memories of
Quatermass and the Pit
Village of the Damned
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Metropolis
Dark Star
Silent Running
Alien
Blade Runner
'57 version of Invasion of the body snatchers
The Thing (the one that follows Who Goes There)
Altred States

Others I enjoyed are
Rodan
Gojira (original Godzilla, sans Raumond Burr)
Zeiram and the anime takeoff IRIA
Cowboy Bebop
The Keep (mainly for the stark moodiness and Tangerine Dream soundtrack)
Moon over Tao (hey, magic, samurai and aliens all in one movie... how could you go wrong?)
Tremors (all of them are a hoot)
Dr Strangelove
Soylent Green
The Omega Man (mainly for the music and Anthony Zerbe's portrayal of Matthias)
This Island Earth

Then there are those popcorn flicks like Journy to the Center of the Earth,
Lost Continent,
Atlantis the Lost Continent
Jason and Alladin and Conan movies

Spook flicks like
Whispering Corridors
Ringu
Juon
Sky High (Japanese film)
The Eye
Bunshinsaba
Onmyoji

Probably spacing a bunch too.

ryanwulf
2007-Nov-18, 11:53 AM
I robot, sleepy hollow, terminator, scary movie 1 2 3 4(comedy/sci fi)

RalofTyr
2007-Nov-20, 03:37 AM
Screamers

Chronicles of Riddick along with Pitch Black.

The Fountain.

samchn07
2011-Dec-29, 02:36 PM
oh!! yes i have also watched the movie matrix. it's the great sci-fi movie.

rambof07
2012-Aug-28, 03:07 PM
Some of best sci-fi movies ......

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Inception
Star Wars
The Matrix .
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Alien

swampyankee
2012-Aug-28, 04:33 PM
The original The Day the Earth Stood Still remains hard to better. Overall, however, I've come to believe that most novel to movie translations of sf have not worked well, with the possible exception of Blade Runner, and that really had fairly little in common with the book it was based on. I find it interesting the Philip K Dick has had so many sf movies made from his books. I can think of at least three, which is probably more than any sf authors other than Jules Verne and HG Wells.

primummobile
2012-Aug-28, 04:45 PM
The original The Day the Earth Stood Still remains hard to better. Overall, however, I've come to believe that most novel to movie translations of sf have not worked well, with the possible exception of Blade Runner, and that really had fairly little in common with the book it was based on. I find it interesting the Philip K Dick has had so many sf movies made from his books. I can think of at least three, which is probably more than any sf authors other than Jules Verne and HG Wells.

Blade Runner
Screamers
Total Recall
Imposter
Minority Report
Paycheck
A Scanner Darkly
Next

I believe there may be a couple in production, as well as one or two foreign films. Stephen King is the only author I am aware of who has more films based on books.

swampyankee
2012-Aug-28, 05:05 PM
Blade Runner
Screamers
Total Recall
Imposter
Minority Report
Paycheck
A Scanner Darkly
Next

I believe there may be a couple in production, as well as one or two foreign films. Stephen King is the only author I am aware of who has more films based on books.

Five more than I had thought. I think Ian Fleming may also be ahead of PKD, though. Bond movies are, largely, a genre in and of themselves, though, so they may not count ;)

Paul Beardsley
2012-Aug-28, 05:28 PM
I think most of Michael Critchon's SF books were adapted as films, though I can't name 'em all [without looking them up, which I just have]:

The Andromeda Strain (film and TV series)
Jurassic Park
Timeline
Sphere
The Terminal Man
several in other genres.

primummobile
2012-Aug-28, 05:32 PM
I think most of Michael Critchon's SF books were adapted as films, though I can't name 'em all [without looking them up, which I just have]:

The Andromeda Strain (film and TV series)
Jurassic Park
Timeline
Sphere
The Terminal Man
several in other genres.

Good catch. I had forgotten about Crichton.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Aug-28, 08:31 PM
Does L. Frank Baum count? The Oz stories have been filmed a bazillion times.