PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Einstein Still Seems to Be Right

Fraser
2003-Oct-16, 07:28 PM
SUMMARY: Einsteinís Special Theory of Relativity says that information canít travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, and a new experiment carried out by researchers at the University of Arizona seems to support this. By creating whatís called ďGaussian PulsesĒ, experimenters can send light through a medium of pumped potassium gas which causes part of the light wave to travel faster than the speed of light. But when they tried to send information along the wave as discontinuities in the signal, they didnít travel through faster than the speed of light.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

2003-Oct-16, 08:40 PM
Well there are different theories, such as cause and effect, virtually.

http://community.webtv.net/WF11/ADynamicGeneral

ŖÉ--ĻĻ
Interactive Psybertronist

Matthew
2003-Oct-17, 07:09 AM
How can light travel faster in potassium gas than it can in a vacuum?

pranav
2003-Oct-17, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Oct 16 2003, 07:28 PM
SUMMARY: Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity says that information can’t travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, and a new experiment carried out by researchers at the University of Arizona seems to support this. By creating what’s called “Gaussian Pulses”, experimenters can send light through a medium of pumped potassium gas which causes part of the light wave to travel faster than the speed of light. But when they tried to send information along the wave as discontinuities in the signal, they didn’t travel through faster than the speed of light.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.
How can light travel faster in potassium?

Madsen
2003-Oct-17, 12:40 PM
Hi!

Errr... Physicists (I am one!) actually use the letter "c" (not "C") to denote the speed of light.... :)

Take Care!

Guest_bob
2003-Oct-18, 08:34 PM
Pumped potassium? Is this where a population inversion is set up in the gas as in the helium-neon laser?Strange how part of the light wave can be made to propagate faster than c. Like to know more about the experiment if possible.
Cheers.

imported_James
2003-Oct-18, 10:28 PM
Not being privy to the experiment makes my comments third hand, but I was told that the photons did not really travel faster than the speed of light. I could accept that as the speed of photons is the definition of the speed of light. Putting that aside, the speed of propagation can be enhanced by what is known as the "searchlight effect". This effect is similar to a searchlight rapidly panning the horizon. To an observer at an acute angle will observe the illumination on the horizon approaching or receding at faster than the speed of light.

May the future be kind to you
Boycott SPAM

---===---

jim buxton
2003-Dec-09, 02:24 PM
in reply to your question about the DCFC logo i believe it is an attractive logo and it shows that derby is proud and headstrong like the team and supporters i also believe the colour scheme to be a success as although it is plain it shows the club has stood for a long tome and stayed sturdy and successful if you wish to continue talks e-mail me at jbuxton@hotmail.com

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-10, 12:40 AM
Where's carlosncarlos when you *really* need him??? :lol: