PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: What's Next for China?

Fraser
2003-Oct-17, 05:20 PM
SUMMARY: With Yang Liwei safely on the ground, China took advantage of their space momentum to highlight their future plans. Officials from the Chinese Space Agency announced today on state television that another Shenzhou flight will take place within one to two years. After that will come a series of flights to master docking spacecraft and spacewalking. And then the Chinese intend to build a space station of their own; nothing as elaborate as Mir or the International Space Station, which will be serviced by Shenzhou.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Martha_sea
2003-Oct-18, 05:23 PM
Hi Fraser: Thanks for your congratulations. I'm very happy to gave the closest guess for the chinese launch, just with one hour off... I want to share this happiness with all the members of the forum,thank you

Martha Herrera Alzate
Philosopher of Science
Colombia

MarQ
2003-Oct-19, 08:10 PM
Great call on the launch date and hour Martha!
I'm surprised this story says one or two years for China's next space flight. I was hoping they'd be ready to go in a couple months. But, all that data is important to analyze and understand, I'm sure.
It is also interesting that no big, elaborate space station is planned. Something that the Shenzhou can service easily makes sense, of course. And without a big, heavy-lifting booster (yet), China can't assemble large pieces in orbit. Or will they. Taking the Salyut Space Station approach of manning a space ship fabricated out of booster dimensions seems like the safest, surest approach to permanent manne presence in orbit.
I think this is very exciting for all the space-faring nations, and over the next five years, their program could gain tremenduous advances.

Fraser
2003-Oct-20, 01:20 AM
They've left a piece of Shenzhou up in space, and plan to dock identical pieces together with each mission. Eventually they'll have 3 of them docked together, and there you go, a mini space station.

The Chinese are working on a heavy lift booster, but I'm not sure if they plan to create a full-blown space station. Another idea might be to rent time on the International Space Station to do any experiments they want to try out.

zephyr46
2003-Oct-20, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Oct 20 2003, 01:20 AM
They've left a piece of Shenzhou up in space, and plan to dock identical pieces together with each mission. Eventually they'll have 3 of them docked together, and there you go, a mini space station.
Great idea, piggybacking par excellance :)