PDA

View Full Version : New planet / moon picture database

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-19, 12:16 AM
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd show off a little project I've been working on, in case anyone was interested: it's an online database of planet / moon pictures. See here:

http://www.benjaminkeen.org/astronomy/search.html

At the moment there's only a couple of hundred pictures in the database, but I've several hundred more sitting around on my harddrive which I'll be inputting over the next couple of weeks.

One other possibility I'm thinking of is rigging up user-accounts, to let *other* people log on and add pictures. Might be cool.

Anyway, just thought it might interest! :-)

Haglund
2003-Oct-19, 03:57 PM
Very nice gallery! Great pics, but perhaps there should be more info on the source of the images?

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-19, 07:35 PM

Yeah, you're probably right - I suspect most of them are from NASA, but to be honest I just don't know. I've found them strewn around the net with their original source long since lost.

I think I may have to do some research and track their origins down...

zephyr46
2003-Oct-20, 12:26 AM
The Io images would seem to be seem to be from the Galileo Project Homepage (http://galileo.jpl.nasa.gov/).
Are you thinking of including links to such pages ?
very nice layout :)

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-20, 12:57 AM
Drat, that's a good idea. I should have thought of that...

[ Consider it a first draft :-) ]

Okay, I'll go and add a new page link field - are there any other improvements you can think of? May as well get them all done in one go.

Thanks!

Fraser
2003-Oct-20, 01:04 AM
You should be careful and respectful of copyright when you're posting images on the web. NASA images all come license free, but every other source out there typically has restrictions. Some only let you use their images for media purposes, while others don't permit it.

So, I'd definitely hunt down the sources for your images and make sure everything's legit.

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-20, 07:15 PM
Will do. Thanks, Fraser.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-21, 03:15 AM
Great pics! And a great idea for a site too! Very nicely done :D

Some were obviously Hubble, others were from Voyager, Pioneer, Viking and of course Galileo... and yes, you're right, the pic of Phobos that you said looks too perfect is indeed a computer generated image :) - the edge-on view of Uranus is also computer generated since you'd never get that view from Earth and the rings were too dark to be imaged by Voyager 2 without over-exposing the planet.

If I might make a suggestion, on Results that require several pages, you might want to make the number of the current page appear in red or stand out in some way.... just so the user knows what page they're on...

NASA do also require you to post a copyright message (although you're allowed to use the images for free for non-profitable purposes) - however, you're not allowed to use their logos *anywhere* - they're very particular about that! LOL

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-21, 11:54 PM
Hey guys -

Thanks for the suggestions!

- I've gone and added a 'link URL' field, for those images where I can link to the original source. This appears on the full-details page. I think I'll try to hunt down the sources for the existing images before adding any more. I figure if I can't find the original sources within a few weeks, I'll just remove them - better safe then sorry.
- The current search results page is now highlighted with a different colour.

Again, thanks for the input! :D

Matthew
2003-Oct-25, 07:29 AM
Have you thought about having a homepage, something which explains about the site. Any updates you have, new pictures.

Maybe an 'image of the day (or week)'. Doesn't have to be one from your database, could be the sun/nebula/asteroid. Though you might want to put any pictures of the day into their own database so people can look at any previous pics of the day.

seeker372011
2003-Oct-28, 02:29 AM
hey atomic:

just to say yours is a really cool site .

Just a suggestion , what about a section for amateur photographs that UT members could maybe contribute to?

seeker

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-28, 04:55 AM
seeker, I think that's a great idea - I'd like to see those photos too!

AtomicPenguin
2003-Oct-31, 11:47 PM
Hey Seeker -

I've gone and added an upload facility, as per your suggestions. I'm curious to see how it pans out! After thinking a lot about it, I decided not to split the database into amateur/non-amateur, since having to make separate searches for 'amateur' vs. 'non-amateur' could be a pain, plus who's to say where the line is drawn... Also, I like the idea of giving maximum exposure to budding photographers.

All images and image data is sent to me first. I'll look over each before adding it to the database. I was just going to have it automatically add them, but there's too much room for abuse.

Anyway, to use this new feature, just go to the main search page (http://www.benjaminkeen.org/astronomy/search.html) and click on the "Upload your own images" link.

And Matthew, sorry for missing your post! I agree that a little more context would be good. Eventually, once I've sourced all the existing images and smoothed out the bugs, I plan to move it to it's own domain. (Also, I *really* want to expand it to include galaxy/nebula images.) Right now it's on my own site (which is really just a hobby/resume site), so it could certainly use a more appropriate home.