PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Big Solar Storm Headed our Way

Fraser
2003-Oct-24, 04:09 PM
SUMMARY: A gigantic group of sunspots, 10 times larger than the Earth, have been active on the surface of the Sun for the past few days. Solar astronomers have spotted several Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) blasting out of the sunspots, and one of them seems to be coming our way. Once it reaches the Earth, it will interact with the planet's geomagnetic field, and potentially disrupt communications satellites. Beautiful auroras (Northern Lights) will probably be visible, even from middle latitudes. The solar material is expected to sweep past the Earth Friday or Saturday.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

all_isone
2003-Oct-24, 04:14 PM
could this be actually dangerous for satelite driven programs/communications etc ?
scientists say they have never 'seen' anything like that before.
could satelites get damaged? could it be dangerous to airflight?

i think our technology is a bit 'fragile'
to cosmic radio blackouts and geomagnetic storms

MD
2003-Oct-24, 11:28 PM
I don't know a lot about this scientific field, and considering this never 'seen' phenomenon,, I'll make a simple question:

May I turn on my cellphone or laptop and be sure that they'll not be damaged?

vyeguy
2003-Oct-25, 12:10 AM
would this cause darkness, like during a solar eclips?

while walking outside with my daughter this morning, around 8:15am pst, i noticed the ambient light from the rising sun suddenly go significantly darker. there was not a cloud in the sky, and it seemed to stay this way for several minutes. i even though i perhaps caught a glimpse of the moon crossing the suns path. is this possible? or have i gone lunar?

Matthew
2003-Oct-25, 06:51 AM
It would cause a drop in light, but I wouldn't think it would cause that much. But if they were big enough, and enough of them....

star man
2003-Oct-29, 10:11 PM
my head hurts, the metal bowl is getting heavy on my head and I don't know if I should do my pressing work outside or stay in and watch an enrapturing film. What's up?