PDA

View Full Version : Core of the Earth

Forealfc
2003-Oct-28, 07:54 PM
Is there a possible chance that the core of our Earth could explode? How does the core remain so energetic?

QJones
2003-Oct-28, 08:35 PM
First off, the core is hot, but cooling. It's always been hot. So, that's how it stays energetic.
- which is why I giggle when talking about geothermal power. Talk about your non-renewable resource! Of course, fissionable materials are only made in the cores of supernovae, so they're pretty non-renewable too.

I also expect that friction greatly slows the cooling process. The continual torque of revolution and rotation probably grinds all those molecules together (much like rubbing your hands together makes them warm).

scott712
2003-Oct-31, 03:25 AM
As soon as enough Uranium and sinks into the very center of the Earth, and if there is enough...but then maybe it already did and it wasn't enough!!!

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-31, 05:10 AM
Just don't watch The Core and get any weird ideas from that LOL :D

Haglund
2003-Oct-31, 04:15 PM
Never watched The Core and judging by what I've heard about it, I probably never will...

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-01, 02:04 AM
LOL I actually don't mind films like that and Armaggedon, for several reasons:

1) I love a good disaster movie (or *any* disaster movie for that matter LOL)
2) I have the ability to go into coma movie mode - just switch off brain and watch
3) If I do want to get picky, I find it entertaining to do so... even to the point where I'll spot "London buses" with registration plates you'll never get in London LOL

Haglund
2003-Nov-01, 02:24 PM
I like both disaster and science fiction, and I'm not extremely picky about any errors or plotholes, only the more serious ones I guess. :) I mean, it's just fiction anyway...

QJones
2003-Nov-01, 11:15 PM
Ah, I like my Sci-Fi (whoulda thunk?). But my main affection is monster movies. Godzilla, Jaws, Resident Evil, etc.

I prefer my sci-fi in novel form, because I find my imagination more invoked and I can get more theory out of it.

Planetwatcher
2003-Nov-02, 10:39 PM
As soon as enough Uranium and sinks into the very center of the Earth, and if there is enough...but then maybe it already did and it wasn't enough!!!
Unless I missunderstood my physics and chemistry, uranuim will not simply explode under such condition. Especially the naturally stable varity. :rolleyes:

It may change it's rate of fission or release more radio active energy, but if a wall of concrete 4 feet thick can protect people on the other side of the torus in a nuclear power plant, I don't think hundreds of miles of solid mantle, then 15 or more miles of a solid rock crust leaves much to worry about. :P

scott712
2003-Nov-04, 10:01 PM
Qjones makes a good point, you would, initially, end up with just a nuclear reactor consisting of low-grade uranium, however, this would be an enormous reactor. This means that almost no neutrons would escape from the center of the mass. The Uranium 238 would quickly convert to Plutonium 239 which is high grade bomb material. Second, you have ideal pressure conditions for holding a runaway chain-reaction together long enough to really get going.

I don't know if there even is enough uranium in the whole Earth to really damage much from the center but it would be an interesting problem for a geo-physicist and and nuclear-physicist to do some back-of envelope calculations. It is not as simple as I outlined above. There might be more danger from the more abundant Thorium transmuting into other more radioactive elements. There are still other elements such as Bismuth, which is almost as heavey, can be easily transmuted transmuted into Polonium which is thousands of times more radioactive than even pure plutonium.

I'm not staying up nights worrying about this, but I do think its an interesting question, especially when one considers that the asteroids fall right where one would expect a planet and may in fact be an exploded planet.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-21, 04:47 AM
I would wonder if there were any study in the 'exploding planet syndrome' - and while we are on movies, take the classic film of 2010 - the year we make contact, when jupiter 'explodes' into a second star... :blink: :blink: