PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Try to See an Aurora Tonight

Fraser
2003-Oct-28, 08:20 PM
SUMMARY: Just another reminder that you should try and watch the "Elegant Universe" on PBS tonight if you can. Then you'll be able to discuss "string theory" like a professional cosmologist.

If you want something more… outside, why don't you try and see an aurora - aka the Northern Lights. The third largest solar flare ever seen is blasting towards the Earth right now and it should put on a spectacular show in the night sky. Try to get somewhere dark and then look to the North. You want to give your eyes lots of time to adjust because an aurora can be a subtle thing to see. Be patient.

Let me know how it goes. I promise nothing, but it could be cool.

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-28, 11:26 PM
Alas, it's raining here... or it was the last time I looked... so unless it clears before my shift ends in 7 hours, I won't be seeing anything tonight... *pout*

Axsuul
2003-Oct-28, 11:28 PM
i don't think it will reach as far south as Southern California will it?

seeker372011
2003-Oct-29, 01:50 AM
Can anyone tell me if we can see an Aurora tonight in the Southern hemisphere or is this only a Northern phenomenon?

seeker

Josh
2003-Oct-29, 02:07 AM
there is the Aurora Australis in the southern hemisphere. It's a lot further south than most mainland location are able to see though ... unfortunately. This aurora alert includes the southern parts of victoria, just. And this is a rare occurrence.

Xpenguin
2003-Oct-29, 02:37 AM
There is no strings. A string is a cord or line usually made of fiber.
An atom is the smallest unit of matter. Nothing is smaller than the element called "Hydrogen." It's mass is 1.0
And they wont be able to prove the string theory, no microscope can view a single atom. They will need to have a x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 microscope for that.

Matthew
2003-Oct-29, 08:12 AM
Try to get somewhere dark and then look to the North.

People in the southern hemisphere looking for Aurora Australis should look to the south for aurora. ;)

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-30, 05:24 AM
It's *still* very overcast and raining here in southern England... hopefully we'll have more luck for Halloween...

Axsuul, you might be lucky... Texas and Oklahoma have had sightings.

What I didn't know until last night was that it's not just a question of latitude, but also longitude, since the Earth's magnetic field is stronger at certain longitudes (due to the nature of the Earth's core) than at others.

Ryan
2003-Oct-31, 12:22 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I saw the aurora tonight at about 7 o'clock, from Marshfield, Massachusetts... that is a few miles south of Boston.

DippyHippy
2003-Oct-31, 02:36 AM
Lucky bugger! LOL We've had nothing but *rain* here in the south of England for the past three nights... to say the least, I am not amused. :angry: