PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Black Hole Flares as it Gobbles ...

Fraser
2003-Oct-30, 05:22 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers from the European Southern Observatory recently spotted a flare in the infrared spectrum as matter was consumed by the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. They calculated that the flare, which only lasted for a few minutes, happened only a few thousandths of an arc second away from the centre of the Milky Way - this corresponds to the event horizon of the black hole. This observation allowed the astronomers to measure that the black hole is spinning very rapidly.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Bill
2003-Oct-31, 06:45 AM
I understand some of what a black hole is. There is matter and then there is anti matter? A black hole, I guess, would be anti-matter which would suck matter into it at such a speed that even light could not escape.
So I guess my question is....where does it go. What is on the other side for it to go to?
Bill in Seattle

2003-Oct-31, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill@Oct 31 2003, 06:45 AM
I understand some of what a black hole is. There is matter and then there is anti matter? A black hole, I guess, would be anti-matter which would suck matter into it at such a speed that even light could not escape.
So I guess my question is....where does it go. What is on the other side for it to go to?
Bill in Seattle
IS THE BLACKHOLE ANTI-MATTER?
I THOUGHT IT IS A HIGH DENSITY MATTER THAT HAS HUGE FORCE OF GRAVITY WHICH ABSORBS ANY MATTER CLOSE TO IT.
FAUD

Fraser
2003-Oct-31, 07:44 PM
Anti-matter has nothing to do with a black hole, it's just regular matter compressed under massive amounts of gravity.

Matter that falls into a black hole doesn't actually go anywhere, it just gets mashed really tightly.

It's like wondering where you'll do if you jump into a trash compactor. You'll just get crushed... nothing special.

Xaviour
2003-Oct-31, 08:30 PM
Black Holes attract objetcs with an enormous quantity of attraction force, right?

If that is true, then the faster it spins, the more gravity it will generate?

Is Planet Earth or the Solar System somewhat vinculated to this black hole? Is it dangerous for us?

Matthew
2003-Oct-31, 11:58 PM
Black holes have a gravitational field that is so strong that not even light can escape once past the Ďevent horizoní. To escape a black hole after passing the event horizon you would need to travel faster than the speed of light. The event horizon isnít a solid surface, itís just the point from where nothing can escape.

I believe a spinning black hole doesn't have extra gravitational force, but is it just twists the space it has effect over. A spinning black hole 'drags' space with it. A spinning black hole has a special area known as the ergosphere. The ergosphere is outside of the outer horizon and so you can escape from the ergosphere. But once inside the ergosphere nothing can not resist the drag of space and the black hole.

dogg
2003-Nov-02, 09:09 PM
I do wonder what would happen if a Black Hole approached or came in contact with any stars in our galaxy, the main ones such as Pluto , Mars ect, would they be able to destroy them an what effect would that cause to Earth?
Also if anyone could tell me if they know the nearest black star to us?

Haglund
2003-Nov-02, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by dogg@Nov 2 2003, 09:09 PM
I do wonder what would happen if a Black Hole approached or came in contact with any stars in our galaxy, the main ones such as Pluto , Mars ect, would they be able to destroy them an what effect would that cause to Earth?
Also if anyone could tell me if they know the nearest black star to us?
Depends how close the black hole will come to our planets, and how fast it will pass through and how massive it is, but if it comes really close, it will first disrupt the Oort cloud, sending some of those objects out into interstellar space and some towards Sol, giving us more comets to look at (takes thousands of years though I guess). It might already now disrupt the outer planets a little, and more so if it continues towards our system. The orbits of the planets would change, how much depends on a few factors... then when it's coming towards the inner solar system, it would disturb the asteroid belt, and the inner planets. It could be a disaster in the long run, if nothing else. These are my thoughts maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong...

Den
2003-Nov-19, 01:43 PM
I heard a theory.. that says that for evry black hole. there is a white hole where matter is ejected back into space time..... it seems to me that matter is mashed to a singularity point..in a.black hole, we know that the laws of physics as we know it does not exist there... so i was just curious as to what is at the center of a neutron star... a white hole maybe... i read on this web site that there might be a neutron star at the center of our sun, according to Dr. Olivier Manuel from the university of Missouri-Rola.... If there is iron at the center of stars instead of Hydrogen like Mr. Olivier states, then where does our star get it's hydorgen.. I know i am way out there with this but i'm just curious if someone more knowledgable could explain what is in a neutron star and if white holes exist in a way that we never thought of before...

Den

ASH2162
2003-Nov-19, 05:56 PM
This conversation is mind boggling....

Powerman 5000
2004-Feb-07, 03:32 AM
If a black hole would come in contact with the oort cloud (there is still speculation about its existance) then more than likely it would slowly consume enough energy to grow larger and eventually consume the entire solar system so good bye sun moon mars jupiter and earth :unsure: am i right?