PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Solar Storm Buffets the Earth

Fraser
2003-Oct-30, 05:22 PM
SUMMARY: It started as the largest flare ever seen by the SOHO spacecraft, and only 19 hours later, the associated solar storm reached the Earth. The storm arrived as a G-5, the largest they get on the NOAA space weather scale. There was little disruption on Earth, however, with only some communications disrupted, and it appears that the Japanese might have lost contact with one of their satellites. Beautiful auroras were visible from many parts of the world, as far south in North America as Texas and Florida. People in Scotland reported that the aurora had already started when the Sun went down, and it was still going past midnight.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Cambo
2003-Oct-30, 09:47 PM
Hi all,
I'm in Melbourne Australia and am wondering who's seen the aurora in the southern hemisphere?
Unfortunately cloud cover in the last week has inhibited viewing, but I'd like to know if it is visible down under just incase the weather clears.

Fraser
2003-Oct-30, 11:15 PM
I got reports from several people in Australia seeing it.

zinkstation
2003-Oct-31, 05:39 AM
THat would be a firestorm moving from the Sun to the Earth at approximately 4.9 million miles per hour! If only my Honda could harness that kind of energy. Maybe Sol ate a spicy asteroid?? :lol:

Matthew
2003-Nov-01, 02:25 AM
I think the NOAA space weather forcast should be updated. If we are getting aq G-5 maybe we should take the scale up to G-7. Or maybe just let it go up to the highest the sensors can detect.