PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to...

Menikmati
2003-Nov-03, 08:40 PM
I am just curious about what kind of music do you listen to that helps you read, do school work, and just think of like what the universe holds for possiblites? I personaly like to listen to dave matthews band and jack johnson..mainly dave matthews band. It just puts me in that relaxed mood.

jimmy
2003-Nov-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Menikmati@Nov 3 2003, 08:40 PM
I am just curious about what kind of music do you listen to that helps you read, do school work, and just think of like what the universe holds for possiblites? I personaly like to listen to dave matthews band and jack johnson..mainly dave matthews band. It just puts me in that relaxed mood.
For relaxation I suggest Robert Haig Coxon's "The Silent Path". It's almost hipnotic it's so relaxing. Stephen Halpern put out some good stuff as well, like "Spectrum Suite" which is pretty old, 15 or so years.
Of course you can't go wrong with the classics like Pink Floyd's: "The Wall", "The Dark Side of The Moon", "Wish You Were Here", etc. and last but certainly not least; The Beatles, just about anything they did is inspiring to me!!!

Menikmati
2003-Nov-03, 10:07 PM
I haven't heard of Robert Craig Coxon or Stephen Halpern. I may have to check them out. Ah yes Pink Floyd and The Beatles are relaxing too. Have you ever listend to classical music like Bethoven? That stuff also I like listening to.

Dawnnamira
2003-Nov-04, 02:03 AM
I'd have to say that classical music is the music that really helps me concentrate.

And that's pretty much it too...Anything else and I start thinking about the music, instead of what I'm supposed to be concentrating on... ;)

jimmy
2003-Nov-04, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Dawnnamira@Nov 4 2003, 02:03 AM
I'd have to say that classical music is the music that really helps me concentrate.

And that's pretty much it too...Anything else and I start thinking about the music, instead of what I'm supposed to be concentrating on... ;)
That's what's so great about Robert Coxon's stuff, it's not really rhythmical, nor melodic. It's just waves of beautiful, peaceful sounds floating through space. The mind is not encouraged to look for patterns, so it can relax and enjoy.

jimmy
2003-Nov-04, 11:43 AM
But oh yes, classical, especially Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata(first movement).

Haglund
2003-Nov-04, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Menikmati@Nov 3 2003, 08:40 PM
I find classical music to be good if I don't want to be distracted by sung lyrics, for example Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and Vivaldi's four seasons. Other great music good for both "thinking" and relaxing is Jarre's music, especially Oxygene 7-13. Generally though I listen mostly to other kinds of music, including rock, various kinds of metal (right now different bands in the operatic metal genre), synth, trance/techno... as you see my taste in music isn't too narrow, although I don't listen to hiphop or country... hehe. It all depends really.

itsmebaby76
2003-Nov-04, 07:41 PM
The music that gets me thinking about the Universe:

anything by Crystal Method
anything by Hooverphonic
"Beautiful Thoughts" album by Gary Prim (well, this one makes me think about nature, in general)

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-05, 02:13 AM
It really depends on what I'm doing... if I want to be creative or reflective, I won't listen to songs because the lyrics distract me (unless it's something like Enya)

Generally then, when I'm in the car or have my MP3 player on, I'll listen to pop and rock... my favourite artist is Alanis Morissette. It seems that if you don't like her, you dislike her with a passion but there you go LOL

Other than that, I'll listen to almost anything, pop or rock. I do like U2 though, but in a general sense... I wouldn't call myself a fan as such. Having said that, The Joshua Tree has got to be one of the greatest albums of all time...

If I want something atmospheric or reflective or creative, then I'll listen to something instrumental. This is usually either Jean-Michel Jarre or Vangelis - I have specific memories linked to specific pieces of music... I often listen to them when I read. For example, I listened to J M Jarre's "Rendez-Vous" CD while I read 2010: Odyssey Two and it seemed to be the perfect accompaniment (sic?)

Vangelis is a different kettle of fish... I compiled a CD of his music, the tracks that made me think of the stars and the cosmos - I called it Music To Watch Stars Go By LOL

I adore most of Vangelis's music but some pieces I find to be a little abstract.

Lastly, I know a lot of her music sounds the same, but I also adore Enya. As with Vangelis and Jarre, if you allow yourself to just sink into the music, to be carried away with it, it can be very inspiring...

Okay, I've waffled enough LOL I love music... can't get enough of it :D

Haglund
2003-Dec-01, 10:03 AM
Hope noone minds me picking up this month-old topic, but I would like to add some more music in the classical genre that I recently discovered, which is Gustav Holst's Planets Suite, from Mercury to Neptune (excluding Earth and Pluto (which wasn't discovered by then anyway)). A few very nice pieces of classical music here, in my opinion. Also fitting for the subject of astronomy I think!

Josh
2003-Dec-01, 10:18 AM
I'm a yodelling fanatic. "little old lady whooooooooooooo"

Everything else is just riff raff music.

Graceless
2003-Dec-01, 10:54 AM
I'm a huge DMB and U2 fan, but I have a very eclectic taste in music. I've currently got "Etterna" by Emma Shapplin in my cd player, along with The Juliana Theory, AC/DC, and "Classical Trance" by G & A Project.

The last one is fantastic. If you can get your hands on a copy (very hard to find, at least here....you'll need to look in more than your local HMV), take a listen to the first track, and then the remix of Dance Of The Sugarplum Fairy. I love fusion!

VanderL
2003-Dec-01, 05:09 PM
Well, I'm doing some illegal downloading, and while I'm searching I check all the interesting astronomy sites and this forum. I'm a progrocker and this year I discovered Pineapple Thief; very atmospheric, great music. And since I saw them perform back in '94 I'm a big Porcupine Tree-fan, which is arguably the best band around at the moment.
cheers.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-20, 03:19 PM
any music helps me concentrate just as long it is there, i cannot work in silence...although i draw the line at yodelling and ear renching opera - my ears echo enough as it is!

Polly V
2003-Dec-20, 04:09 PM
When studying the sciences - doing all my calculus homework, my organinc & p chem, etc I listened to classical music, especially Bach and still do. I just love the violin concertos, the harpsichords aren't bad either. It seemed to help me retain all that stuff for my exams. When I switched vocations for my masters degree it was still useful, but not as much.

I seem to have different tastes of music depeninding on what i'm doing.

Driving up the coast thru the redwoods - jazz or early pretenders, pink floyd, U2 anything early 80's rock, punk

Cleaning the house - newer stuff Dido, no doubt, Alanis, Sarah M, Cheryl C - all the ladies
and elton john.

Kick back music - van morrison, norah j, big band stuff

its just a jumble really

U2

damienpaul
2003-Dec-20, 04:11 PM
Thats the story of my life!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink: why i laugh??

Kootenaistar
2003-Dec-21, 11:20 PM
Hmmm... This old asteroid just happened in here, but I will add my bit, too.
Generally, my love of music involves bits and pieces of most everything but opera and rap (opposite ends of the line? :rolleyes: ) When viewing at my friend's observatory we use many different as she has a great collection. One of my favorites has been "David Arkenstone/Caravan of Light". Sometimes we even get a bit excited and put on something more old rock and jazz. But we, too, have found that the music is wonderful out there under the stars!

damienpaul
2003-Dec-22, 01:23 AM
It is truly an amazing combination - watching the Outer Planets and listening to the "Time Warp"....after a while well the mind plays tricks on you and you think you see aliens actually doing the time warp.... :blink: well its gotta be better than my relo's doing it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimmy
2003-Dec-22, 05:09 AM
Damien, is that the"Time Warp" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Cool song.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-22, 05:14 AM
thats the one jimmy! its a great song to really shake one's booty - but not my relo's!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

jimmy
2003-Dec-22, 05:18 AM
is relo another aussie slang? This site should have a mini course, " Aussie-101".

damienpaul
2003-Dec-22, 05:20 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: true...idea...hmmm

by the way - relo = relatives