PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Leonid Meteors on November 17

Fraser
2003-Nov-05, 07:52 PM
SUMMARY: The Leonid meteor shower will be making an appearance on November 17, 2003, and it might be an impressive show. These meteors are the minute dust trails of Comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle which flash in the sky as they strike the Earth's atmosphere. In past years, the Leonids have been very impressive, sometimes thousands of meteors have been seen. Astronomers aren't sure how many will strike the Earth this year - it could be anywhere from a couple an hour to several hundred per hour. The best views will be in Europe, but the rest of the world will still get a show if they watch the skies after midnight.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

goddardrocketry
2003-Nov-06, 05:43 AM
Does my homeowners policy cover meteor impacts? Just a thought.

Athena
2003-Nov-06, 07:54 AM
I saw the 2001 Leonids. I guess that was my first meteor shower, and it was phenomenal. I'll try to see it this year, but it just won't compare. Of course it's really great when you aren't looking for meteors and you see one. Always makes my heart skip.

Dave Mitsky
2003-Nov-06, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Nov 5 2003, 07:52 PM
SUMMARY: The Leonid meteor shower will be making an appearance on November 17, 2003, and it might be an impressive show. These meteors are the minute dust trails of Comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle which flash in the sky as they strike the Earth's atmosphere. In past years, the Leonids have been very impressive, sometimes thousands of meteors have been seen. Astronomers aren't sure how many will strike the Earth this year - it could be anywhere from a couple an hour to several hundred per hour. The best views will be in Europe, but the rest of the world will still get a show if they watch the skies after midnight.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.
Actually this year the Leonids are predicted to have at least two distinct peaks, on the mornings of November 13th and 19th.

See http://www.space.com/spacewatch/leonids_20...ews_031017.html (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/leonids_2003_news_031017.html)

Dave Mitsky

knealy
2003-Nov-19, 07:50 AM
I have a couple of other recommendations for meteor watching, gained from many attempts.

Dark is definitely good, and that includes finding a place where other meteor watcher aren't driving up with their headlights in your eyes.

Bring a chaise lounge rather than a chair. It's much more comfortable when trying to look up into the sky without getting a stiff neck.

Dress VERY warmly. You can't be too warm. You can always take it off. Bring a sleeping bag you can unzip and spread out over you. (Legs get cold too!)

Bring a thermos of hot chocolate. A real treat after sitting for a couple of hours.

Bring a friend to sit with. It's a great time to swap stories and get to know each other better.

Be patient and enjoy the night. Don't plan on leaving after a half hour if you don't see much. Heck there's a lot to get to know about your friend. Relax and enjoy the quiet. It's great just being out under the stars even if you don't see any meteors.

Just a few ideas... :rolleyes: