PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Construction on Alma Radio ...

Fraser
2003-Nov-06, 07:50 PM
SUMMARY: Workers in Chile broke ground today in the construction of the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) - a giant radio telescope made up of 64 high-precision radio antennas. ALMA is scheduled to be completed in 2012, but radio astronomers will be able to start using it in 2007, when some of the antennas have been completed. Using interferometry, the radio signals from the individual 12-metre dishes will be combined to act like a single radio telescope 14 kilometres across. Needless to say, it will help astronomers push much deeper into the cosmos when viewing the radio spectrum.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

dasob
2003-Nov-07, 05:01 AM
It seems to me that the farther we look into the universe, the more we see. I will be interested in what this new array finds out there. Will we be able to understand more about what we see?

Josh
2003-Nov-07, 05:36 AM
Undoubtedly .. but of course, that only means more questions.

What chance would there be of creating a similar (apparent) sized telescope in the visible spectrum? Or is that already out there and I'm living in the past?

Fraser
2003-Nov-07, 06:51 AM
Interferometry in visible light is orders of magnitude more difficult. They're working on bigger scopes, like the 8.4 metre binoculars I mentioned a few days ago.

Haglund
2003-Nov-07, 04:30 PM
I'm happy to see these new giant radio observatories being built! There are more similar projects too, like the Allen array for example. No doubt will this expand our knowledge much much more - and more mysteries too of course...

http://www.nro.nao.ac.jp/~kotaro/RTs/rts.html