PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: It's Official, That Was an X28 Flare

Fraser
2003-Nov-07, 07:00 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers have confirmed that this week's solar flare was a whopping X28 magnitude - definitely the largest flare ever recorded. The flare occurred on November 4, and quickly overwhelmed the X-ray detectors on several monitoring satellites. It was followed up by a coronal mass ejection that blasted out from the surface of the Sun at 2,300 kilometres per second. Fortunately the flare came off the side of the Sun, and seems to have had no effect on our Earth.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Karen
2003-Nov-07, 09:00 PM
Can someone explain about these units X28, X20 etc? Are they absolute measures or apparent (ie. depend on where the detector is based)?

Matthew
2003-Nov-08, 12:42 AM
Click here for information about the classifications of Space Weather (http://www.sec.noaa.gov/info/FAQ.html).

Hope this helps!

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-08, 03:00 AM
Hmmmmm... the power of this CME is quite astonishing... I wonder what would have happened if we'd been in it's path.

Speaking of which, matthew, I read on that webpage about the (unfounded) theory that earthquakes are related to CME's...

All the same, I have to wonder how long it will be before Hollywood comes up with the idea for a CME-related disaster movie... I can see it now... scientists discover the largest ever CME recorded, it's headed for the Earth and will hit us in just a few short hours causing a global catastrophe the likes of which Mankind has never seen!!! Who ya gonna call?

Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck, of course :D

Matthew
2003-Nov-08, 07:04 AM
You could send a huge solar sail out between Earth and the Sun, the solar sail picks up the CME and is pushed out of the solar system, CME surfing! Protecting the Earth and pushing a solar sail out.

But then what could Bruce Willis be?

Ingrid
2003-Nov-08, 10:41 AM
I was wandering,was one of the other planets hit by this outburst?
And if so,have observations been made of the effects ?

shigamoto
2003-Nov-08, 05:36 PM
Hmm I wonder if it's possible that these solar flares might effect our weather on earth. It would be nice as someone asked for before if it would be possible to see soem observations on what happened to planets that might have been in it's way.