PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: ESA Cancels Eddington

Fraser
2003-Nov-07, 07:00 PM
SUMMARY: The European Space Agency announced this week that it has canceled Eddington, a space-based observatory designed to search for extrasolar planets. They're also going to be scaling back the BepiColombo mission to Mercury by removing the lander that was supposed to accompany the spacecraft. The agency blamed the cuts on budget overruns with other missions, such as Rosetta. One new mission was announced, however. The LISA Pathfinder will serve as a prototype to help search for gravity waves.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Haglund
2003-Nov-07, 09:45 PM
Bad news, that. I guess we should always expect projects to be cancelled... But was it that hard to gather up more cash for it? Was there no one interested enough? Well, at least NASA still has the Kepler mission which is going to look for planets as well. I just hope Darwin wont get cancelled...

Fraser
2003-Nov-08, 02:29 AM
Eddington was an intermediate step before Darwin, but it's still going to be a serious shame if it doesn't go up.

Haglund
2003-Nov-08, 10:59 AM
Indeed. And I wonder why they didn't eliminate one of the orbiters in the Bepi-Colombo mission, to save the lander? Would it be impossible or impractical to put all the instruments on one orbiter? Considering NASA is sending their MESSENGER orbiter to Mercury, I was thinking perhaps we could save the lander instead.