PDA

View Full Version : Moon Spots

iciek
2003-Nov-09, 03:12 PM
So I'm experimenting with photographing the moon with my digital camera through the eyepiece and trying out various filters for effect.
Nothing of note until I inspect the photos taken with a red filter and I notice yellow splashes of colour particularly around Tycho. These were not abberations and I'm able to match them with certain features on a NASA false colour image of the moon.
I'm just wondering what (Mineral deposits I suppose) on the moon would show up as yellow when viewed through a flat red filter. I've been searching the web all morning for helpful sites but have so far drawn a blank.

starrman
2003-Nov-09, 09:56 PM
Interesting, iciek... are the photos posted on the web? And have you tried recreating the effect? What optical equipment are you using? Yellow seen throught a red filter seems a bit odd. What type of filter? Camera? Eyepiece? Telescope? Inquiring minds want to know.

Clear skies.

iciek
2003-Nov-09, 10:14 PM
http://www.btinternet.com/~iciek/
is my site's URL,
look under Lunar images on the navigation bar on the left.
(I'm not after any awards, it's a rough site)

8" Klevzov Cassegrain through 40mm eyepiece using an Olympus C700 on a fast setting (1/100sec) F2.8
bog standard red filter

starrman
2003-Nov-10, 06:31 AM
Those are fascinating images, iciek, and frankly, they've got me stumped. I hope someone with more seleographic knowlege can shed some light on them.

Clear skies.

2003-Nov-10, 04:24 PM
Having carried on my search I came across a NASA site for lunar geology. My yellow splashes coincide with their hot spots for hydrogen in the form of water.
Having used a red filter I suppose it's not that surprising. B)

iciek
2003-Nov-10, 04:26 PM
The last post was of course me but I'd forgotten to log on :unsure: