PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: True Colour Picture of Mars

Fraser
2003-Nov-17, 05:16 AM
SUMMARY: The NASA/ASU THEMIS imaging team has released a photo of Mars which has been corrected as close as possible to realistic colour. This image of cliffs and basalt sand dunes in the southern Melas Chasma region of Mars was taken by NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft. Astronomer and space artist Don Davis used photographs from the Hubble Space Telescope and his own experience to modify the colours in the picture until they looked natural.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

cyrus
2003-Nov-20, 07:34 PM
wow

what a remarkable image! Everyone I've shown this picture is equally captivated, some even asked me if I could find out where you could purchase it! I'm curious to know more about the topography of this region - the height of the cliffs and surrounding plateau, the size of the small mounds near the dunes and the actual distance covered...also what are the theories about the geological formations? Those small mounds near the dunes remind me of Bryce canyon...is this an ancient riverbed?

incredible

thanks
cyrus

Keiko
2004-Jan-11, 08:15 PM
This article is extremely interesting. :)

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-27, 07:15 AM
SUMMARY: The NASA/ASU THEMIS imaging team has released a photo of Mars which has been corrected as close as possible to realistic colour. This image of cliffs and basalt sand dunes in the southern Melas Chasma region of Mars was taken by NASA's Mars Odyssey spacecraft. Astronomer and space artist Don Davis used photographs from the Hubble Space Telescope and his own experience to modify the colours in the picture until they looked natural.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Here's a good place to check out Don's work, his website!

http://www.donaldedavis.com/