PDA

View Full Version : Books, Books and more Books!

Sola
2003-Nov-17, 06:10 AM
[FONT=Arial][QUOTE] :huh: think think think

Sola
2003-Nov-17, 06:13 AM
B) books are always a good starter topic! but what i would like to talk about
is space tourism.

Matthew
2003-Nov-17, 07:06 AM
If you want to talk about space tourism try, Space Commercialization (http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=6).

My favourite books? Lord of the Rings! :D

QJones
2003-Nov-17, 08:07 AM
I liked the LotR series, I read them 5 times before I turned 18. However, I tried to reread them, and I realised that I no longer enjoy his meandering, historical style. But, I really do appreciate his contribution to the fantasy world.

I just finished Peter. F. Hamilton's series (starting with the reality dysfunction). It's a really great read, and I could put it down. It's exploration of sentience (along with his ripping good sci-fi) was amazing.

Basically, it's about a future where human's have developed FTL travel - as a result, the economies have expanded beyond nation scale. Technology and religion has caused humans to diverge into pro-biotech and anti-biotech species.

It's fantastic. I really recommend it. Many, many issued of space colonisation are explored in detail.

michaelBirks
2003-Nov-19, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by QJones@Nov 17 2003, 08:07 AM
::Snip LOTR - Michael ::

I just finished Peter. F. Hamilton's series (starting with the reality dysfunction). It's a really great read, and I could put it down. It's exploration of sentience (along with his ripping good sci-fi) was amazing.

Basically, it's about a future where human's have developed FTL travel - as a result, the economies have expanded beyond nation scale. Technology and religion has caused humans to diverge into pro-biotech and anti-biotech species.

It's fantastic. I really recommend it. Many, many issued of space colonisation are explored in detail.
I agree about Hamilton's series "Night's Dawn".

It certainly covers a lot of issues (germline-GM, vs non GLGM, organic telepathy, global warming.) but I wondered whether it covered too many.

The scope of the books was such that my thought on reading them was that it was a milieu almost purpose-built for a Role Playing Game, although I've yet to see any sourcebooks for it.

Also the size is a little ponderous The edition that I ot here in NZ was 3 1200-page books, and the first leapt all over the place until you sarted to get a sense of the milieu and te connections between the characters.

Michael.

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-21, 12:56 AM
I read The Hobbit and enjoyed that, but despite trying on many occasions to plough through LOTR, I always get to about page 150 and all they've done is stagger down to the pub... and that's when I give up.

Praise be to Peter Jackson, for producing such fantastic films so I don't have to spend ten years reading the books!!! :D

OverTheStars
2003-Dec-05, 12:30 AM
i had to read The Hobbit in fourth grade...but i think books by Dean Koontz are the best. he does alot of research while writing the book, and his books always have romance, horror, adventure, sci-fi, religion and fantasy. everything rolled up in a decent length book (however, i remember one book was about 700 pages) with plenty of details. i can't keep my face out of his books! has anyone read any of his books?
i used to love v.c. andrews, but it got kinda old...daughter gets abused by parents, she finds out they aren't her real parents, moves in with rich family, gets abused there, has sex with her brother(or what she thought was her brother)...they were nice though.

Matthew
2003-Dec-06, 06:42 AM
I'm going through the LotR books for the third (or is it the fourth?) time. I've gone through The Hobbit, and The Silmarrillion once. And if I find time I'll go through them again. But I want to get LotR finished before the Return of the King comes out.

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-06, 10:38 PM
Methinks you'd all like The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley... many consider it the definitive Arthurian novel. It's only about 1500 pages so you should be able to get through that over Xmas :)

Matthew
2003-Dec-07, 02:30 AM
1500 pages? No, not many at all... :blink:

Though the three Lord of the Rings total over 1500 pages.

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-08, 12:57 AM
Yes, but this isn't *quite* as plodding....

(ooooooh... controversy rears it's ugly head :D)