PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if a astroid traveling at...

imported_Ziggy
2003-Nov-18, 10:33 PM
I've heard of what would happen if a astroid hit Earth. But out of curiosty let's say that you could somehow accellorate a astroid to 10% the speed of light and the astroid would not disinagreat. The astroid's say 7 miles wide. And you shot it stait at a planet like Earth. What would happen?

Menikmati
2003-Nov-19, 01:42 AM
So that is 18.6 thousand miles per second and 7 miles wide? Oh dear lord is all I have to say. I would like to start off saying, there would be no existing creature nor human no matter how hard they try to hide themselves. As for a crater, I don't know I can imagine half the earth breaking off and floating away. I mean wheither or not that is even close, its just how I picture it.

AusJosh
2003-Nov-19, 06:50 AM
Boom

-Josh

imported_Ziggy
2003-Nov-22, 12:32 AM
Ok. Now lets take it up to the next leval. Same thing but now it's zooming at near light speed. Say 99% sol.

AusJosh
2003-Nov-22, 02:25 AM
Louder Boom

-Josh

kashi
2003-Nov-22, 02:26 AM
To put it in perspective, if a Mack Truck was to hit a rabbit at about 60 kph, the rabbit would be have to be travelling at close to the speed of light to make the Mack Truck go backwards.

GOURDHEAD
2003-Nov-22, 02:37 PM
An asteroid traveling at 99% the speed of light MAY ago through the earth like a high speed solid steel optimally shaped bullet through an apple leaving a hole with "diameter" approximately the same size as the largest dimension, perpendicular to the line of travel, of the asteroid. The hole will probably fill in within minutes of the passage of the asteroid depending on whether the friction of the tectonic plates is significantly altered. At 0.00001c the earth would probably be shattered. This guess is based on there being a velocity above which the transfer of kinetic energy from the asteroid to the planet does not take place; the values used above were selected without benefit of experimental evidence. ;)

Given the option, I vote to avoid finding out. :ph34r:

imported_Ziggy
2003-Nov-22, 03:16 PM
Thanks alot! I always wasn't sure what would happen. Thanks again.

Matthew
2003-Nov-23, 08:54 AM
The damage of an asteroid travelling at .99c would be immense, Earth would not recover.

But out of curiosty let's say that you could somehow accellorate a astroid to 10% the speed of light and the astroid would not disinagreat.

I don't think it would disintegrate travelling at that speed. Sure it would heat up extremely quickly , but it would be travelling at such high speeds it would have hit Earth before being disintegrated.

imported_Ziggy
2003-Nov-23, 03:21 PM
Just for the heck of it. What if you took two asteroids about the same size as the one in my last post with the same speed of 99% sol and shoot them directly at each other? Would there be a huge deep space explosion? If so how powerful in terms of hiroshema.

"Earth is the cradle of life, but one cannot live in the cradle forever"

Menikmati
2003-Nov-23, 09:59 PM
millions of times more powerful then the explosing at heroshema.

Planetwatcher
2003-Nov-23, 10:23 PM
I'm not so sure about the big boom, or even that it be so catastrophic that Earth won't recover.

I think it more likely that it would penitrate the entire planet, come out the other side and keep going maybe tearing some atmosphere with it but not a lot more.

I think it's speed would cause it to act like a bullet pearcing a paper target.
A nice little hole but far too fast to cause a shock wave.