PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: NASA Reforms Safety Panel

Fraser
2003-Nov-19, 08:33 PM
SUMMARY: NASA has set up a new safety advisory panel to replace the previous group that resigned back in September following the Columbia accident investigation report. The new ten members make up the NASA Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, and will be an independent group responsible for safety oversight of NASA operations. This new safety board will play a key role in helping to ensure the space shuttles are safe to return to flight later in 2004.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Haglund
2003-Nov-20, 11:21 AM
But how safe is safe? There will always be the risk involved in spaceflight, and if you remove the risk you'll have to stop doing it altogether.

Scully
2003-Nov-20, 12:11 PM
It is unfortunate that astronauts loose there lives in these accidents and I do genuinly feel for the families left behind, however, these astronauts know what they are getting themsleves into and I bet no matter how high the risk would do it anyway. They are the true pioneers of the new age. NASA needs to chile out and realise that to make a cake you have to break a few eggs (I do not mean this to sound calous to the families, accidents happen). I personally don't believe NASA has much to worry about in the sense of negative public opinion etc, when these things happen, I'm sure a lot of people feel the way I do. Yes NASA needs to find out what happened and what the cause was, but this should not ever jepodise or delay the overall program.
Scully

Will
2003-Nov-20, 02:22 PM
I think that the public is accepting of disasters that happen because of things NASA didn't know about, but when it turns out that we loose people and material due to things that NASA knew about, could have prevented, and failed to act on;well that isn't acceptable. Space travel is dangerous enough without stepping on you own feet.